feeding corn

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by ddt, Nov 26, 2003.

1. ddt

ddt New Member

Hi,
    About 2 weeks ago I got 2 piglets(30#'s) to raise to bucther. I have a lot of corn and planned to feed them the straight corn. Well they have rooted up and survived on all the worms,etc , in the pen, and now do not seem to relish the idea of eating the corn. The corn is soaked. Any ideas? Mix commerical feed with the corn? Thanks in advance, ddt

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

When we feed ours corn we use dry corn chops mixed with commerical feed. They root also but not much. We are careful to change feed mix slowly so they get used to it.

Each person seems to have their own preference so I wish you great luck and don't forget to give the pigges a ball or plastic bucket to play with and get a hugh backscratcher and treat them to backscratches.

Ours always love behind the ear scratches too. Playing with them until butcher time makes it no problem getting them into the trailer. (We found yhis out the hard way, Pigs do fly, but that is another story.)

My wife plays tug a war with them too.

3. ozarkmtmama

ozarkmtmama Active Member

If you can get a little surplus milk or eggs to mix in with the corn they'll wolf it down fast. :)

4. Farmall

Farmall Active Member

Never heard of the like, but being as their pigs, ya never know. I wouldnt worry about it. Theyll come across when they get hungry enough, and then watch out

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I agree with Farmall. I suspect they are getting all they want from the ground now. They will find it soon enough.

Ken S. in WC TN