Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am thinking about putting a rooster in with my layers and letting them raise a few chicks to increase my flock size.

At the moment I feed the layers 2/3 whole oats 1/3 layer mash plus whatever vegetable scraps I have around and sometimes some whole corn will this be fine for the small chicks will I need to grind it smaller for them or will momma hen do that for me ? Also I have heard that layer mash isn't good for young birds is this true and would it be a problem seeing as its only 1/3 of there ration?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Young layers cant not handle the layer mash, is causes kidney issues.. when they start to lay then start giving them layer ration. I would stay with chick grower as it provides all the nutrition they need as they mature.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank all neither of my hens whanted to sit on the eggs so i have them in an incubator now should be hatching this weekend im building a new coop for them so ill be able to keep the babys and adults seperate so i can feed them seperately. im looking forward to a much expanded flock (24 eggs in the incubator).

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
dont know what state your in but you might have to keep your fall chicks in your house with a heat lamp until they are fully feathered pretty good sized birds, before you could put them outside. My very first eggs ever and most times the first eggs come in September October ( which came first the chicken or the egg?) the chicken . Anyway I had chickens in the house for the winter. Just too cold for them outside. Maybe with a coop heated like your house and a heat lamp I could have done it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi forcast I am in kwazulu-natal South Africa so we are into spring now I am planing to keep them inside for probably the first couple of weeks then move them to my one coop that is inside a greenhouse for probably a month and then out into the chicken tractors on the pasture we are getting +-15degC night and 30degC days at the moment and it getting warmer by the day

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont have any here but some a couple of the farms up the road have guineafowl ill ask around

·
Registered
250 Posts
Now I don’t pertain to know the availably of feed in your local. But I recall many times a hen that i thought was gone to owl's. would just show up with a bunch of chicks and me not have food on hand and a trip to town was days away. I found myself grinding up my Maine feed mix to accommodate them for a few days. And it worked out all rite. BUT you will have to grind it up mama can’t do it and with you incubating them there will be no mama but you anyway. I bought one of those hand crank grist mills it was cheap and worked great I would cut down on the oat ratio and increase the protein if you are/have to feed this way. My mix had a fish pellet added to bring the protein up but there are other ways to do this also

1 - 10 of 10 Posts