Feeding bones to dogs

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by SquashNut, Nov 10, 2006.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

We like to give our dogs bones when ever we can but they are expencive 1.19 a lb at local store. Today I found beef ribs for the same price, but DW thinks these are not good (to splintery) for our catahoula. does anyone else have big dog like a catahoula that they feed beef rib bones to?

bassketcher

2. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Raw bones are fine but cooked in any manner is definately a BAD idea.

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

My goldens get beef rib bones from time to time-they are well wrapped in raw meat though. My dogs rarely eat the bones (they are quite hard) but they do chew on them for a long time.

4. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

I agree. Uncooked=good for doggies, cooked=choking hazard

5. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I lost a German Shepherd to a rib bone that someone else fed her at a campground (we didn't see them do it). She knew she shouldn't have it, so she swallowed it whole. It pierced her stomach and she died of peritonitis before anyone could figure out what happened. We only knew after an animal autopsy was done at a local veterinary school.

I would be very careful what type of bones I gave any dog.

MaryNY

6. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

My vet recommends against bones of any type after doing lots of surgeries to remove them. Even if the dog can't crunch them they can still gnaw off slivers that sometimes get lodged.

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Our 8 large dogs get all types of beef and goat bones. We home butcher so the dogs get everything that we don't use(bones, hide, organs, fat). Our dogs are Collies, Catahoula/Anatolian, Great Pyrs, and Anatolians. They all love the bones and never have a problem. They are fed raw, of course!

8. americanbulldog

americanbulldog American Hunter

I agree. My bulldogs and catahoulas love raw rib bones and I have never had any issues with them eating them. I have some that can eat a whole rack of ribs in mere minutes and never choke. I do think dogs should be monitored whenever they are eating ANYTHING they can choke on. We also give marrow bones to out dogs but we have the butcher cut them long enough so the dogs can't quickly or easily get them stuck in their throat.

9. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

Any raw non-weight bearing bones are fine. The ones I do not feed are the large weight bearing bones of anything but poultry. I used to feed them until I noticed I had a few dogs that came up missing or breaking a tooth. So now I feed mostly pork or beef ribs for red meat night- usually the country style as these are meatier and cheaper. Occasionally I will feed pigs feet with the hock attached as they are not hard- but no more "soup bones" or "marrow bones" of large animals. With Thanksgiving coming I am waiting for the sales to hit so I can stock up on turkey for my guys. I like to save some for when girls are in season- turkey has something in it that makes you and dogs kind of sleepy. A good thing for boys that can think of nothing else than girls!