feeding bird bells

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by lscheopner, Jul 14, 2006.

1. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

I know this sounds odd but we have a bird bell plant here in town. Have been feeding it to the poultry and an occasional treat to the pigs. Usually, they have milo, wheat, corn, & BOSS. Today I went to pick up their mistakes and got 25 bags! My husband wants to make it the main source of food for our 3 pigs. They also get eggs everyday. Right now they are eating 14% corn/soy mix. Do you think they will do okay or just give it as a treat? We have about 600# of the stuff right now and my chickens will take months to eat it all. Give me your opinion.
    Thanks
    Laina

2. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I would give them a limited amount and watch to make sure they don't get scours. Slowly increase the amount and watch.

The reason they might get scours is because those bells tend to be "glued" together with some sort of molasses or sugar syrup. Too much sweet might give the pigs scours, but if the pigs don't show any ill effects then they should be fine for raising them on it.

In all likelihood, worst case scenario you could make the bells at least a portion of their diet, which will cut down your feed bill considerably. Possibly the bells can be most of their diet.

3. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

I'm worried about the sweet glue making them too fat. They are to be butchered in August. They think they are candy. Hope to get some more input on what others think. Thanks ladycat

Laina