Feeding beet pulp?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Dee, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I bought it for my horse and it had a slew of animals on the bag that it could be fed to. The dealer said that most cattle people will bulk up their steers with it. I have 6 Boer goats that will be going in two weeks. I'd love to have them larger if possible as I sell by the pound, live weight.

Has anyone ever used it? What was the results? I know horses have to have it fed wet, do goats need it wet also? It says it can be fed wet or dry on the bag. Any answers will be appreciated. Thanks

2. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I was told to get this for my old goat that had lost almost all of her teeth and had almost died. She did very well on it and lived almost another year. We soaked ours over night. That stuff swells up so much when water is added that we were afraid to give it to her dry.

3. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Yes, beet pulp should be fed wet.

4. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

We don't wet ours down. We just measure it out and add it to the daily feed.

5. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

What % of the feed do you use this as?

6. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

7. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

The amount of beet pulp our goats get depends on the needs of the goat.The buck gets a half cup with his feed,while the adult does get a third of a cup. I mix in BOSS and alfalfa pellets also.

8. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone. And thank you Tracy, that was very informative.

9. seahealth

seahealth Well-Known Member

this is very interesting.........so now I know what I can do someday when I have goats - and make beet juice. I always have the pulp left over, I had dehydrated some and added some flavoring to make some "chips" for myself...but one can only eat so much of it - it is very filling.