Feeding a steer out

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by FarmerCop, Dec 30, 2005.

1. FarmerCop

FarmerCop Well-Known Member

I know this may sound strange but I am wondering if feeding a steer out on hay and grain mostly, would affect the steer negatively, we have just a half acre of grass and the rest is wooded with thistle and such, I guess I am just trying to explore an option of raising a steer for beef, if it would be worth it or not. it would only be one at a time and I plan on having goats and pigs rotating out in the wooded area to thin it out for grass growth.

any opinions???thoughts??? I don't want an animal I can't feed and keep healthy, if I can't just feed hay and grains I will forgo the idea for a while. :bash:

2. Sammy

Sammy Well-Known Member

It will cost you little more to feed out 2 as it would just one.
    Everyone I know feeds their steer's hay and grain's..... Go for it ! :cow:

3. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Alfalfa Jake

Go for it!! Most of the time our steers only get hay until about 2 months before we want to finish them, then we start shoveling the corn down their throats. Hay and grain will definately not affect him negatively.

4. FarmerCop

FarmerCop Well-Known Member

I guess I meant the lack of grasses for one steer, don't get me wrong our grass here gets pretty lush, I just didn't want to harm the booger or delay any growth

5. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Alfalfa Jake

If he gets an adequate amount of hay then not having grass to eat wont hurt him. Cattle don't need green grass, but they sure do appreciate it when they get some!