Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a year and a half old male cat who was neutered at 16 weeks. I've three cats total - this one is the finickiest and the scarediest. I've tried so many different foods because of him, including premium grain free, meat -based which I ended up throwing away. Definitely will need one food for all three because it is just too much to juggle. This morning I was reading that wet food is sometimes better for finicky eaters and cats with kidney problems. I wonder if it is good for neutered males? The only two foods I have found locally for urinary tract health are by Purina: Plus and One. Neither one is eaten entirely. Lots of waste. The Purina One Urinary Tract Health gets eaten a little better but at $2.00 I'd think it would be eaten up. All three love wet food when I have fed it as a change of pace. This neutered male and his spayed mother were given to me when their human died. They used to be on wet food back when he was a little kitten but have been mainly on dry for over a year that they've been with me. It has been a challenge the whole time. I'm tired of throwing cat food out. Is wet food a good main food for a neutered male?

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I feed Purina One Urinary Tract Health to my cats, all for one cat! They like it well enough, but I will go back and forth from the regular Purina One Salmon and the Purina One Hair Ball formula as well as the Urinary Tract one. They eat some slowly, some better. I leave a large bowl of it out on a side table for them and they free feed as they want.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I use dry food and then use wet food as a topper. I haven't tried Purina, but my two older cats get Acana dry food, and friskies as a topper. The younger boys get Nature's Recipe dry food or something similar on sale, and friskies or another wet food as a topper.
I was having trouble with one of the older cats throwing up almost every day, and now that we are feeding this way, it has stopped.

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
My cats won't eat the healthy grain free stuff either, they get canned food twice daily and free feed dry Fancy Feast between....that stuff is like cat crack.

Canned food is better because of the higher water content, we even add water to soup up the canned food since most cats don't drink enough. We feed Sheba that I buy with 'buy one get one free' coupons, but we have one cat that will only eat Purina tuna so that's what she gets. I swear sometimes it's worse than wrangling a room full of kindergarteners.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just bought a case of the canned food. They 've had it before so it won't upset their tums, don't think. I'll probably continue to offer Purina One Urinary Tract Health daily. Hope this is an acceptable menu for them. They're all a bit picky. Seems like every animal here right now, except the dogs, are really picky.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have two fixed males. If you have concerns your cat is not getting enough water, you can try a mini aquarium filter in their water bowl. I know it sounds silly, but it really worked for me.
I have since abandoned that and cook food for the dogs and cats.

Contact a slaughterhouse for trimmings and cull stuff. Or purchase cheap whole chickens/turkeys/leg quarters, whatever is cheap. I got whole chickens at .39/lb last summer. I boil it up and mix in carrots, peas, zucchini, green beans, celery, sweet potatoes, squash, ect- not all types of veggies, just what I have. Make sure you toss is taurine if there is too little organ meat.

I cook it up and freeze in gallon icecream tubs

Jokarva, you are so right! Kibble is crack! I have found though, that when I feed any kibble, grain free or normal cat food, the cat box stinks to high heaven! Their poo does not smell much when they eat just the meat and veggies I give them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts