feeder

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by tracydeena, Mar 14, 2005.

1. tracydeena

tracydeena Member

So I built a feeder this weekend based on what I saw at local farm supply stores. It is a automatic feeder that you fill on the top and the pigs lift a lid on the bottom to eat. My question is simple. How many feeders should I have for each pig? The actual feeding area where they can eat from is about 3/4 of a square foot. I have three pigs

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I take it to understand that you will have feed available fulltime. That being the situation, the one hole feeder will be fine for the 3 pigs you have.

3. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

I did the same. Yep, it's fine for all 3 as they will take turns as they're hungry .. as agman said. 3/4 of a square foot is awful small isn't it ? Hopefully you have a large hopper.

4. tracydeena

tracydeena Member

The spoet where they actually eat out of is 3/4 a sqaure, and it is larger then the ones you wold by in the farm stores, the containter itself holds about 50 to 75 pounds of feed. There will not be a problem with them fighting over it? Will the weakest of the three i have not eat as much?

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

They pigs will establish a pecking order. All will eat and they will eat from the small opening just fine. The reason the opening in the commercial unit is small is to avoid wasting feed. You do not want the pigs to be able to drag feed from the feeder. Remember than small pigs need a higher protein diet than older hogs. 50 pounders around 18 % protein.

6. tracydeena

tracydeena Member

I have been feeding them hog grower 16% plus other high protein foods

7. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

I made mine with a deep portion to eat out of, so they wouldn't spill it. For that reason, it had to be a bit bigger and they had to be a bit older to begin using it.
    The hopper was not big enough though ... I couldn't believe how much they would eat and how little it actually held. I swear they ate 10lbs each per day. I know they're supposed to eat 7lbs or so I think when closer to market weight.