Feeder housing

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Stephen in SOKY, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

The weather is right, & will remain so for the next week, so I'm building my hog facilities now instead of spring. Please advise me on things you have incorporated, or wish you had, in your housing for feeder pigs.

I have a woodlot of app. 3/4 acre, opening into a 1/2 acre pasture, so they'll have ample space. I doubt I'll ever raise more than 3, but building for 4-5 just in case.

Things I know I want (Subject to your recommendations) :
    1)Entire facility tall enough to walk in.
    2) A feed room.
    3)A chute or alley, hopfully in rear of feed room where I can work on pigs by myself. May not have a headcatch at the start, but a place I can crowd them.
    4) A feed & water area under roof.
    5) A sleeping area adjacent to feed/water area and feedroom, on wood floor for dryness.
    6) An outside area, well fenced, equal to the width of the building, and at least 16' long for isolation or perhaps final fattening.
    7)Would like my building to be 12-14' wide.

So, What am I planning wrong? What am I overlooking? All opinions appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

I'd have it so you can feed the pigs without actually getting into the pen with them. Also is that chute just for working the pigs or would it be a loading chute as well? A nice loading chute is high up on my list for what I want to build so I can load pigs without a big hassle.

Heather

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

1) Feed should not be stored in the same building as the hogs are housed unless there is a breezeway separating the areas. It will get stale and will take on the odor of the hogs. You want your feed to remain fresh and it should not be ground earlier than 2 weeks prior to feeding.
    2) Create an alley inside in front of the area where the hogs are housed. This will permit you to feed without having to get in the pen with the hogs and you can use the alley and the entrance door as a chute and loading facility. Leave a top board off the pen on the sides aligned with the prevailing wind direction. This will keep the air fresh year around.
    3) Without a concrete floor the water area needs to be outside. The hogs will urinate when they drink creating a stinking mess.
    4) The hogs can sleep in the area where you feed and it will remain clean. Hogs, given a chance, will not defecate where they eat. Have the floor high enough off the ground to prevent rats from tunneling under the pen.
    5) Allow for shade and for a wallow outside. Hogs do not sweat and they need both for cooling in hot weather.
    6) I would make the outside area longer and at the far end is where I would put the waterer. In so doing the hogs will not track as much mud into the inside pen. I would not let the roof rain water runoff drip into the outside pen. It will make a mess in bad weather as the hogs go in and out. In cold weather you can hang a sack or a piece of carpet over the opening from the pen to the outside lot.
    Hogs are great, you will enjoy them particularly with good faciliites.

4. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

Thank you both for your responses. I wasn't aware of the feed separation issue. A breezeway is something I'll work into the plan. I wondered if water trough should be outside, won't be a problem. Shade will be plentiful. I've thought of another question:

How many square feet are recommended per hog in their sleeping area? We always had far more space than they seemed to need or utilize.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

For a sow pen the area is 27 sq. ft. per animal.

6. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

I love my barrel with a nipple in it for watering, cuts down on alot of mess with swimming pigs ect. there are some good threads on the subject here!