Feedback on our homestead web site

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Anataq, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

Having been in the planning and developement stages for our homestead in remote South West Alaska for quite some time, Pam and I decided to create a little web site to follow our progress and to post things that we have found helpful in building our homestead. This is our first web site and we are hoping to get a little feed back on how to make it better. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

We very much enjoy homesteading today and seem to always find something usefull here.

www.pawcreekhomestead.com

Warmest Regard,
    Ryan

"Our chief want in life is some one to make us do what we can"

Ralph Waldo Emmerson

2. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

No advice to give...... Just compliments! Terrific site!

You folks are living the dream and doing a great job of it!

Keep us updated on your progress! :)

3. SectorSteve

SectorSteve Well-Known Member

Beautiful website. Very professional. It makes me homesick. While I was in the Navy, I lived in Akak, Alaska for 2 years (1984 to 1986) and loved every minute of it. I still work for the government, but in Orlando, FL. If you need a caretaker, give me a shout.

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Now that my heart has slowed down, I think I can type.

I have some picky suggestions. Black on green is hard to read. It's fine at the top, but cursed in your block on the left.

salmon runs, add two national parks. This sentence really runs on. Place a period here and begin a new sentence with: Add two national parks

My wife (comma) Pam (comma) and I

It has long since been a dream of mine... since when? Omit since.

Norm (comma) a typo

Beautiful photo, breathtaking. I'm so happy for you :)

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Very nice. I'm glad you do not have a bunch of buttons that lead to pages that say "under construction" or something. I hate that.

The only thing I didn't like is the music. Not your choice of music...I just don't like websites that play music at me.

Good job.

Jena

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

The music is a real problem for people with slower connections.

7. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

very nice!
    i might would consider making the home page a little faster loading.
    i use to use microsoft frontpage and it would give me the time it took to load each page and warn if i got over 30 seconds. a lot of graphics or large ones or music really eat up the time it took to load. of course my connection aint the best either

8. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

I agree with the music comments, I wasn't too fond of it. Also, the first picture on top takes way too long to load - if I didn't know you, and just went to the site I would have gone out of it because it took too long. Good luck.

9. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I removed the music on the home page and corrected the mistakes Maura mentions. I really appreciate the feedback. I can't figure out what to do with the pictures, I really hate to thumbnail them because they add so much to the page, hmmm... Wondering why no one signs the guest book, are these just a waste, or is it because no one wants to be the first to sign it?

Best wishes to you all,
    -Ryan

10. Cedar

Cedar Well-Known Member

I would say leave the picture. It loaded in about one second for me. If you took it with your own camera, you may want to take another one on low resolution. There should be no noticeable difference. Doing away with the music was a good idea. Many people listen to their own music when they're on the computer and having another melody chime in on a web page is annoying.

I just want to know what you do for:

An internet connection
    Obtaining money (job)
    Insurance
    In the winter months

11. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Can you see us turning GREEN with envy!!!!! What a beautiful place! You are very fortunate! I loved the web site although the photos did load a little slowly!

12. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

As for the music, I don't turn the audio on.

As for the sign in guest thing, I never do. I think it is a waste of space (and possibly money) You know how many hits you are getting. If anyone wants to contact you, they will.

I'd also like to know the nosey details like how much it cost and how you earn your living. If you go to my website, www.thumbknitting.com and click on the homesite it will take you to our adventures in building.

13. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

I am in California right now working in order to pay for this whole project. I won't be specific about the total cost, but it's expensive, of course everything is relative. To me the cost is overwhelming at times, but the key to doing it, is just to do it, and keep on doing it.

For an internet connection I have a few options and I'm not sure that all of them are viable. The first one works fine, but is unreasonabley expensive to use, it is a satalite link to my lap top with a program called crystal voice. The other is the same as the phone, which is through a relay system to the local village which has a satalite link paid in part for by the state of Alaska. The question here is whether, or not we are to far out for the relay. I believe that the phone relay option will be viable as our two closest neighbors have these systems in place.

You asked about money: From my current business in California I have developed a large client base many of whom are very intersted and willing to pay quite a bit of money to explore, photograph, and fish in this unique part of the world. I do not intend to be a full blown lodge, but I will be an adventure camp of sorts for part of the season. To give you an idea, if you chose to visit our area and stay in one of the remote lodges the going price for a weeks say is between $3000 and $7000 per person. I will accept guests for short periods in both seasons in an attempt to set aside a reasonable amount of money for living expenses outside of that which we don't hunt, raise, or grow ourselves.

Insurance is a good question and one we have spent a great deal of time considering. This will depend on the income we generate. If our income for a family of four falls below $46,000 per year, Alaska has a program, among others, called Denaili Kid Care, which will cover our childern comprehenisely and Pamela if she were to be pregnat in the future. Property insurance, home owners, and liability are very reasonable where we're at, can't figure out why, but I won't complain. We will also recieve the small amount of dividend from the sate, not that we are counting on it, but is goes up and down from year to year better than $1000.00 per person.

Winter months, also not the easiest question, we are purchasing two snow mobiles and are conemplating one of those argo units with tracks and heat. Still trying to get feadback on the reliability of these machines. I also have 2 malamutes and a husky and we are considering the possibiliy of growing our pups into a decent sized dog team. We can still get out in the winter and visit Anchorage, as there are services available, weather depending.

I think that sort of answers most of the questions?

-Ryan

www.pawcreekhomestead.com

14. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................Ryan , maybe you should visit these folks and look at their setup...
    ............... http://www.motosat.com/twoway_001.htm

................This system deploys , finds the satallite and both sends and receives. There is a website called Tioga and George , and it is the adventures of george as he documents his daily meanderings and he takes alot of photo's and then uses Mr.Motosat to down load his info each day. I think the system is around 5k plus installation. Would probably work well from the "Fort Defiance" as well.....
    ................Surely you're going to Video all this activity as i'm quite sure there will be a market for a Video..............fordy... :eek: :)

15. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

If you have a fairly advanced photo manipulating program, you should be able to make them of a resolution that is viewable on most computer screens. This is a little complicated, but the only way I know to say it:

For a typical digital photo that produces a 1.6 MB jpg the desired screen resolution of 72 pixels/inch should have pixel dimensions of 9.04, that is the image should be more or less 2052 pixels in length along one axis by 1539 pixels along the other axis.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and remember this is sent in the spirit of
    Peace and smiles,

doohap

16. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

Thanks a bunch! I'm not sure whether my photo program will allow me to adjust the resolution, but I will give it a try.

Thanks again everyone,
    Ryan

17. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Ryan, I took the guestbook off our site as we seemed to get about 1 person a month who would sign it. The home page on our site is set up in journal format, where users can leave their own comments, this too gets little feedback. I think people are bashful, I don't know. I do track our hits, how many, where they come from, the most visited pages, etc. We get around 2000-3500 unique visitors per month, not a ton but actually more than I expected.

As for photo's, personally I feel sites such as yours, or mine, should be expected to be somewhat slower than the norm as they're usually quite photo intensive. I used to size all my photo's so that no page took longer than 30 seconds to load, but I no longer bother. Since it's a personal site, for me to share our life with friends and family, I figure if people are interested they'll wait. And apparantly they do. I know my bee pages are EXTREMELY slow loading as I reduced the images very little in order to retain the high detail of the photos, and yet they are the most visited pages on our site.

CJ