Feed?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Reauxman, May 31, 2005.

1. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

The breeder I got my little guy recommended feeding him 1 handful of 16% meat goat medicated feed every day. Probelm is, the feed store was closed there yesterday and I can't get it here. I will be up there next weekend. In the mean time, would there be anything else I can offer him? He munches on hay, but doesn't get it down. Kinda like a nibbla but he can't really bite or chew yet. I have sweet feed and rabbit feed on hand. The feed she fed(medicated meat goat) was in a ground form.

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Above all else he needs milk. High in calcium, it's what grows the big bones he needs to be a big guy. Start him on alfalfa hay. Poopoo all the urinary calculi information you are going to get about bucks and alfalfa hay, there simply isn't a better food for goats period than alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets. Find a goat pellet that contains both ammonium chloride and something for cocci, follow the directions exactly, until the time he is eating the 1 pound per 30 pounds of body weight or the 1 pound per 50 whatever the bag says, put him on some sort of cocci medication every 21 days. Worm him every 21 days until he is well grown.

Do not even think about weaning him until he is consuming enough of his grain and alfalfa to live off of. Weaning a kid who is on a high protein high calcium diet of milk onto grass hay and sweet feed, slows their growth, there is no readibly absorbable calcium in the diet other than calcium carbonate in the minerals. Also find a good mineral mix, something with over 1000 ppm of copper in it, if it has kelp and yeast and probiotics that's better. Have a tractor supply in your area? They sell Tech Master Complete minerals made by Bluebonnet. Keep most if it in the house in a dark trash can or rubbermaid container, only having enough outin the barn to feed free choice. All my babies eat minerals they love them, and it keeps them from eating so much dirt.

Have fun with your guy, just remember he is much better outside in the sun and fresh air than in the house, unless for security reasons. He will soon be a big boy, treat him that way when he is young, no jumping, no throwing his leg, get a collar and teach him to lead, no playing with him (head butting, pushing on his head)...or you will be on the list in 2 years talking about how mean your buck is in rut. You want him to grow up knowing you are his superior, not his play mate, or less, worse for women, a doe in his harem. Vicki

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

if it is the same buck kid you were talking about in your previous thread than he is just a week old. he definitely need the bottle. his rumen doesn't work yet. he will nibble a little bit on hay but he will not survive on that. didn't the breeder tell you how to feed him? or did i misunderstand something?
    susanne

4. Reauxman

Sorry if I neglected to say this, but he is getting 10-15 ounces of milk 3 times a day. He was born May 16. I was told by the breeder(Dween Muse) that it is better to underfeed him than overfeed, so when he backs from the bottle and there is only a few ounces left, I just don't push it. I was told he should have some sory of feed in front of him to nibble. He has grss hay in his crate. He is currtly inside due to the fact that I live in the city, but my stock is kept at my barn 3 mins away. Didn't want him there alone. I'll get some alfalfa when I run to the barn in a few mins. Chopped OK? Also will take a few cups of mineral salt. Will check the bag and see what it contains. Dween gave me a white powder to mix in one bottle a day for cocci. What else does he need in the health department? What could I worm him with? Would a paste wormer for horses be good or is thre something else? He spends his fair share of time outside, visiting the neighbors and playing in the yard. He is so funny when he runs, the legs and ear seem to be going in every direction. Also, the dehorning job done by the breeder wasn't very good. She got a nice burn on the ear, his eye is all swollen where the iron hit it as well. One side is oozing, the other kinda dry. Does this sound right or shuld I be alarmed? Also, I remmeber reading somewhere that someone raised their goats on 1/2 powdered milk solution mixed 1.5X as directed and 1/2 whole milk. Is this sufficient or need they have all whole milk? Not that the whole milk is a problem, but we have cases of powdered milk here that will end up being thrown away if not used for something. I know my grandpa raised them on it for years and had no problems, but cows and goats are way different I know.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Order or purchase from some furall from the feed store. Think dry when dealing with his horns, something aresole, but nothing oily. Don't goop it up with triple antibiotic or something like that. She can burn his ear off and it won't hurt him from sireing kids for you or his show career, they are goats. That sounds worse than I mean it to, but scars, scratches and the like do not hurt a goat from being shown to their championship.

The Deccox M you are putting in the bottle each day is wonderful. I used it this year for the first time and it will be my cocci prevention from now on, no more sulfas or corrid or anything else. From bottles with the Deccox in it to a grain pellet with the deccox in it until they are freshening the first year.

Yes you can worm with a horse paste. You will want to use a white paste wormer the first 2 wormings at least, Safeguard is fine. It's a little tough to dose since you will give him 5 times his weight, give it to him 3 days in a row once he is 3 weeks old, repeat again at 6 weeks, than 9 weeks. By 12 weeks which is close to weaning you will want to use the wormer you are using on your other goats, hopefully Cydectin or Ivermectin. White wormers are not good stomach wormers.

Once he is chewing his cud you can if you like move from the whole Vitamin D grocery store milk to a milkreplacer that has no soy in it, like Purina's kid goat milk replacer. But not yet. Small ruminants simply don't do as well on milk replacer as they do on goats milk. Cows milk, even grocery store milk is better than the whey or soy powders, and if you read the directions on them you would only be feeding him 8 ounces, way to little milk for a full sized goatling to grow on. More than the 8 ounces of replacer and they scour, yep a very poor product. Powdered milk for humans are mostly lowfat, he needs full fat, full protein milk right now. Nubian milk would be perfect :)

He will need to be vaccinated, did Dween give him his first shot at disbudding? Ask her, because he will need a second shot in 21 days from the first.

I give probios, just the horse one, a small blob on my finger to my goatlings each day for about a week when they come here new. I also give it for a few days when I worm them or vaccinate them. It's the first thing I grab when they have soft poop.

Put the Deccox M in his morning bottle, and one of his other bottles each day put about 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, keeps the stomach sweet during this hot weather. Vicki

6. Reauxman

Mrs. Vicki,
    I cannot thank you enough for all of your advice. I doubt Dween gave him and vaccinations, she kinda panicked when I asked about the dehorning...she totally forgot. Says she has been busy with the shows lately. Would the blue spray in a can be good? His eye is ozzing and swolen from the iron as well. I just hope this works, as I can't see putting him through it again after this. OK, Dween said Decox one time a day, 1 tsp per 80 pounds, for now she said give him 1/2 tsp. Sound right or use twice daily?

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

1 teaspoon per 80 pounds is for calves. I am feeding it at 1 teaspoon per 40 pounds, so 1/4 teaspoon started at day 4, then moved to 1/2 teaspoon once a day at 4 weeks, now at nearing 12 weeks mine are getting a heaping teaspoon each, I feed in a lambar bucket so just count kids and put that many teaspoons in the milk. I love this product, not one fecal rise of cocci beyond a normal amount, and they do not balk at the bottles like they do if you use liquids. Plus it's a smooth transition to pellets with the same drug in them. The overdose is soo high with this drug that you don't have to worry about them eating the pellets and staying on the milk. Most bucklings I raise are still eating on the lambar when they are breeding their first does in October, it's cheaper to grow milk than to buy grain :) But you will want to wean around 12 weeks, making sure the protein and calcium in his milk is replaced in his diet you have him on. Vicki

8. Reauxman

At what age do you use your bucks for breeding? I am thinking of getting a doe or two this fall, could Jason breed them(he's 2 weeks now) for late May kidding?

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

My March born bucks will be breeding in October, as will my doelings. You will hear not to use bucks young because it will stunt them etc.... Yes young bucks have less sperm volume than an older guy, so he has to have a longer period of time to recoup, before he can be bred again...but either way if you breed him or don't he will still waste the sperm on his penmates or himself, so why not just use them ;) If you have young does to breed he obviously can breed them as soon as you see him pulling his penis out, older does it's much eaiser to hand breed them. Alot of older does want nothing at all to do with a young guy, and it's irritating for them because he will try to breed their head or side without help, some older does will be down right ugly to him, so really watch it if you put him in with mature does. And sadly Nubians are the worst about this :no: Each little guy matures at his own rate, but by 7 months I haven't had a buckling who didn't get the job done. Vicki