Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Grandpas old feed grinder going and I want to start grinding our own feed for our layers. Anyone have recipes or ideas what we should feed? Thanks

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know if the roasted soybeans could be replaced with soybean meal? Is that the same?

L

·
0 Posts
Does anyone know if the roasted soybeans could be replaced with soybean meal? Is that the same?
That should work. Soybean meal is ground soybeans that have been heat treated. I think the only difference is, the oil has been removed from the meal. But it should work well as a substitute.

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
Don't feed any type of beans that have not been cooked.

Well a great source of protien they have a enzyme that inhibits digestion and can harm poultry digestive systems.

Something I don't remember seeing on the lions grip site was supplemental vitamins.

I get the electrolyte/vitamin mix pouch from TSC, its 8 onz and is to be mixed with 55 gallons of water.

By my math I came up with 20 grams per 5 gallons to be close.

If you want a ration thats more along the commercial line, and you have a elevator close, you can buy concentrate they are high protein (36%) fortified with vitamins and minerals already.

L

·
0 Posts
Don't feed any type of beans that have not been cooked.

Well a great source of protien they have a enzyme that inhibits digestion and can harm poultry digestive systems.
Soybean meal has been heat treated and the anti-nutrients have thus been inactivated.

·
5,439 Posts
Well where did you see "soy bean Meal" in my reply?

I said Beans... really not just beans but most if not all of the legume family need processing.

I know you brought up the meal and my comment had nothing related to that.

But someone inexperienced in feed might not know that about beans and other legumes.

Not being snippy either Ladycat just adding my own clarification on the matter since you quoted me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That should work. Soybean meal is ground soybeans that have been heat treated. I think the only difference is, the oil has been removed from the meal. But it should work well as a substitute.
soybean meal contains more protein and less fat than roasted soybeans.

·
5,439 Posts
It will actually reduce. The oil content in the roasted soybean will lower the overall crude protein.

Depends on how you look at it.

Yes it will lower over all protien if you already are using the meal and replace it with the roasted beans.

Yes it will raise the overall protien if you are adding it for extra protien that was not there.

So your both right and wrong in one of the above instances.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Depends on how you look at it.

Yes it will lower over all protien if you already are using the meal and replace it with the roasted beans.

Yes it will raise the overall protien if you are adding it for extra protien that was not there.

So your both right and wrong in one of the above instances.
in that case, it won't be wise for Bubbas to replace roasted soybeans with soybean meal. If the formula is balanced, doing so will reduce the energy content of the feed because full fat soybeans has higher energy content than soybean meal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts