Feed?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Reauxman, May 2, 2006.

1. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

I recently called the feed store to see what the options for goat feed are. It seems that I'd have to buy 1,000 pounds at $24 per 100. I talked to a well known breeder and she said she tried the feed in question and her production slowed down over the 4 months she used it. She went on to say she has been using a mix of corn, oats and sweet feed for the past 4 years in equal ammounts. Figures at feeding a pound of feed for every 3 pounds of milk a gallon costs her right at 30 cents to produce. She has many does milking over 12 pounds. I believe her(and have seen her feed bins, thats whats in it), and her does have full uddders, but is something missing? She free feeds hay as well. Would this be enough?

2. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

Can't help at all, but since we are picking up our dariy goat this weekend, I would love some more discussion on this topic. Can any of you experts please chime in??

Thanks!

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Well, I'm definitely no expert, but I can tell you what we're doing. The most important thing for dairy goats and milk production is alfalfa, either as hay or pellets. We feed alfalfa pellets. A lot of folks free-feed it, but we give about 3 or 4 pounds per doe, per day, half in the morning and half in the evening. This goes in their feed trough in the barn. In addition, they get grain on the milkstand. We are mixing whole clean oats and crimped barley. I also toss a handful of BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds) on top, and a little Calf Manna. They get about a pound at each milking. They also have grass hay, free choice, and, REALLY IMPORTANT: really good loose minerals.

We had been using a dairy goat pelleted feed and it was ok. But it was much more expensive, harder to find, and had molasses in it. This system has been great so far. Everything is easy to find, not terribly pricey, and the alfalfa really ups their milk production quite noticeably.

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I feed alfalfa hay, free choice; COB (corn/oats/barley) and BOSS at milking time; Sweetlix Meatmaker goat mineral free choice (can't get their dairy mineral here); and fresh water. Sometimes they get stuff from the garden, and they love banana peels and apple cores. I don't feed goat pellets because I can't be sure what's in them (I don't want anything with soy in it), and my goats are doing absolutely great without them.

Kathleen