Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hey Nan!
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some old, frozen beef in the freezer that I have cooked up and will be feeding this to the pigs. There are some steaks with bones in them. Do I need to remove the cooked bones? The pigs are about 3 months old.

Tks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pigs wont eat anything that would hurt them, we used to feed floor sweepings from a feed mill and it would often have a nut or bolt sometimes a hand full of washers and the pigs would clean up all the feed we gave them and leave the nuts and bolts licked clean.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,472 Posts
Check the law on that one. There may be a ban on feeding mammal to another mammal that is in the food chain.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
If it has been cooked, remove the bones. They will leave the larger bones but anything small in cooked food often tends to be taken in along with a big moutful of food and can prove fatal - they eat cooked food quite differently to the way they eat raw food.

Haypoint, I think that in most countries now it is acceptable to feed meat to pigs if it has been cooked. We have quite stringent laws on feeding waste food, including meat, and it all has to be cooked prior to feeding. I cook all my waste food and have always done so, even before it became law, because it made sense to do so.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,472 Posts
Ronney, I understand that trekanosis isn't a problem in hogs today and that at one time it was, requiring everything to be cooked.
I was thinking amout the more recent concern with Mad Cow and the feeding of by-products from sheep, goats and other cows to catle.
While it is still legal to feed animal by-products to dogs, cats and other non-food animals, I thought food animals weren't allowed. I understand that feeding steaks is different than feeding spleens. I also know that pigs don't get "Mad Cow".
There are some new laws that restrict what you can feed, however, I don't have them available to me right now.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Haypoint, pigs are omnivores which puts them into a different category from sheep, cattle and other ruminants. I think it would be illegal just about everywhere in the world now to feed meat and meat by-products to ruminant animals but it's ok for pigs, hens, dogs, cats etc. all of which are carnivores/omnivores.

The main concern in this country is FMD which we don't have - yet, and of course there are other diseases that can be spread by the feeding of uncooked waste such as salmonella. It is also perfectly legal here to feed offal to pigs but again it must be cooked.

Obviously there are going to be variations of the law from country to country and even from state to state so it's the responsibility of the pig owner to find out what goes in their area.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,877 Posts
if he is feeding his own stock for his own consumption why worry about the laws on feeding requierments?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts