Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have 4 Katahdin ewes which will hopefully be lambing this winter. My question is how do folks here 'supplement' the ewes food after lambing? Do you feed them high protein hay like alfalfa or some type of feed store sheep kibble or grain, etc? Searched on the internet for answers, but want to see what people have done with their flocks.

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
Because my ewes also gave me a crop of fleece, part of their diet after lambing was Alfalfa, and a balanced sheep pellet. Along with their free choice of loose salt, minerals and flaked kelp.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
I started feeding more energy before lambing, a good all natural molasses protien block, make sure no urea. Molasses helps with lambing. After lambing feed good hay for milk, a little sweet feed or molasses pellet. I used a heavy screening pellet, made with molasses. My sheep were on grass seed fields in the winter, hay was grass seed straw until a month before lambing, slowly converted over to hay and the molasses block, then screening pellets after lambing, sweet feed for lamb creep. for first month then 1/2 and 1/2 sweet feed and molasses pellet....James

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have 6 dorper ewes. I feed each evening 1/2lb per head daily of alfalfa pellets, rolled oats, and whole corn. Access to loose mineral and protein block at all times, along with grass pasture and coastal bermuda hay 24/7.
4 ewes have single lambs and 2 have twins. All are in really good shape.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with farmerDale. We start a barley-based ration a bit before lambing, slowly transitioning from the 100% forage diet they were on. Using barley (we use rolled or flaked barley) puts more fat in the diet, compared to corn or wheat, and making milk uses a lot of fat. While we could get more fat into them by feeding a higher volume of corn, we would then be feeding more too, and that has always led to hoof-trimming for us. Good luck finding what works best for your ewes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Depending on where you live, you may or may not be able to find some of these feeds. I have never in my life found barley in a feed store in north TX. Maybe I just havent been looking hard enough. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
BlueHen, that is a good point. I'm sorry that I forgot the regional differences in availability. Oats and barley are interchangeable as feedstuffs. While we're on the subject, whole or crimped oats (or barley) don't seem to digest as well as the "flaked" (like Quaker oats) variety. At least, that's been our observation in what works for our flock.

The reason we used barley was after noticing that our meat lambs on barley had a layer of fat that was a little more firm than the others. Not as firm as pig fat, but noticeably firmer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts