Feed Suggestions - Dairy

Discussion in 'Goats' started by christij, Sep 26, 2006.

1. christij

christij Well-Known Member

I currently have one Nubian and waiting for the second to be bred! (Emily has great girls at Ozark Jewel!And handsome excited boys right now!) And I am trying to find my happy place in the feed world - if that is possible! LOL!

I currently have a 12% Sweet feed, BOSS, corn that I hand mixed for my 2 young NDs. Which isn't what I want to feed my girls. I am in MO and they have access to browse along the fence line and pasture with Lezpensia (SP?) clover and orchard grass and lots of yummy dandolions!

TIA!
    Christie
    http://www.freewebs.com/sydenyscountryfarm/

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Christie, it was wonderful meeting you and your family on Sunday!<very nice people, folks>
    Cassie has been used to getting a mixture that I mix myself :

50 lbs whole oats
    50 lbs barley
    5 lbs corn
    5 lbs BOSS
    5 lbs alfalfa pellets

She got as much of this as she would eat while on the stand(which isn't that much....maybe a couple lbs??), and she got alfalfa pellets when she left the barn. Plus all the browse and/or pasture that she could get all day. They have brome hay available at night. A good loose mineral is always available.

3. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

We feed the So Mo goat ration 18% and alfalfa hay to our girls with pasture of various grasses and clover. Good way to go if you don't want to mix own right now. Cost us $6.20 a bag which is cheaper then other goat mixes.

JR05

4. christij

Emily - I think she is enjoying eating her grain without others - she chows! I think she is going through 2 lbs and wanting more before I am finished. She starts prancing and rubbing the sanction going feed me more feed more! And of course I can't say no to her!

JRO5- were are you finding the 18% ration?

Christie

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll bet she is! That is why she didn't fit so well here, too much competition for her laid back addy-tude......I think she will do great with more time for herself. :) Just make sure she doesn't get *too* much grain..... :nerd:

6. christij

Today she had grain infront of her and she just stopped -- it was like she was saying I am done -- you're done milking let's go. She's a roit. I go out there a few times of day and walk her around so she browses and sometimes I make it to the coop to check for eggs and she doesn't catch me and you will hear the bleating and she's running around the coop and the goat barn looking for us! I feel so loved.