Feed storage

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Rob30, May 1, 2005.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am looking for ideas on feed storage. I want to be able to store at least a ton of chop, preferable 3 tons. After I get my grinder set up I will be storing grain instead. Any ideas? I am thinking of putting something in the hay loft so I can gravity feed. But mice are a big problem here.

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

What is 'chop' - different meanings in different regions. :)

--->Paul

3. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Big dead chest freezer will keep the mice out.

mikell

4. Rob30

Chop is ground up grains, mostly corn, for pigs.

IO currently use a freezer for storage of bagged feed. But I want something that is easier to get the chop out of. My wife is 5'2. Bending over the freezer to get at the chop when we are low would be pretty difficult. She would probably fall in.

5. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I store all of my ground feed in 55 gallon drums, plastic and steel. One drum will hold about 300 pounds. If you use the steel drums you may be able to find the one's that have a lid with at ring to fasten it.

Bobg

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

you need a subscription to farm show! just what every growing tinkerer needs!!! hows about furnace oil tanks ? hold from 250 to 300 gallons of feed and with little modifying can sit up in the loft(depending on how solid)on an angle and shute come through the floor . lots of old tanks in good shape around thanks to the insurance"lets make work for hvac/tssa" . we use a underground fuel tank above ground to store 10-12 tonne of corn/grain though most is going to go in hopper bottems!

7. Rob30

I thought about using barrels and an old oil tank that I have. But I was not sure how much would fit in each. 300 lbs is not bad, 4 barrels and I could store a 1/2 ton of feed. That is how much I will be picking up each time, becauase I onky have a GM 1/2 ton truck. That means, I could probably have them load it right in the barrles, and bring it home that way.
    Thanks

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I use metal 55 gal drums with ring locks to store my grain. The place I get grain from sells food grade drums, (Used to have tomato paste in them, of all things!) and then when you need, you bring the empties back for a refill. Just open them up on the back of the truck, and they pipe it right in. I keep a packet of bay leaves in each barrel, so don't have weevil problems. Mice can't get in. No moisture problems (and I'm in the humid South). By the time the drums are too low for me to reach into, I can pick them up and pour. I mix it as I need it, depending on the season, and mix up a 33 gal trash can full at a time (also metal)

I have gotten feed when hubby was gone, and unloaded it by myself. Not fun. The truck bed is slightly higher than the feedroom floor. But, a come-a-long works just fine. I much prefer my hubby and 19 year old son unload, but it's do-able for me.

I like the drums, but I'm a bit taller than your wife, at 5ft 6.

Meg

9. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

hoppers off worn out combines could be modified enough to keep rodents out, plus they already are set to gravity feed out somewhat, it would depend on the model it came off of as to the bushel content of holding capacity and then the weight could be figured from there, but a 100 bushel tank would probably fill your needs.

If you already have loft built then it might be a problem getting one there, kinda bulky [ergo bulk tank] filling one with sacked feed is a chore, but a good old 4 inch auger probably could be found in someones back barnyard junk pile somewhere for a reasonable price.

With a little thinking on most subjects a person can figger out just what old pieces of scrap can be slightly modified to do a job for another 50 years or so!!!

William