feed sticker shock!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rabbitgal, Nov 20, 2006.

1. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I had to run to the local feed store today to pick up an emergency bag of feed (Blue Seal 17%). With sales tax, it jumped $1.50 a 50-lb. bag! Ouch! I'm glad I "only" have 40 adult rabbits to feed. :rolleyes:

I'm going to stick with the brand because I like it - it's a good feed and even with the price hike it's not really any more than Purina or Manna Pro. I'm surprised the price rose that much in just a few weeks.

Anyone else suffer from sticker shock recently?

2. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

I am used to paying $11 for 50 pounds of feed, now. I got sticker shock when I heard of a guy paying way less than that for the same amount! And some people pay as much as I do for 100 pounds!
    I haven't found any other rabbit feed around here with 18% protein with no animal by-products in it that my rabbits do well on. Guess I'm stuck for now!
    ~Carrie C.

3. rcornish

rcornish Well-Known Member

Expect all the feed to go up over the next few months. Despite record production on almost all the grains and such in 2006, the demands of ethanol production amonst a few other non-traditional usages on things such as corn are pushing the prices up on everything this fall. It has been a big jump on corn especially in the last 2 months or so and a lot of the stuff takes about a month or so to the bagged feeds.

4. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Farm subsidy programs are set to expire too. That will really make prices jump.

5. Dian

Dian Well-Known Member

I haven't had to buy rabbit feed yet this week, but I definately got sticker shock when we bought chicken and goat feed. The corn was up $2.50 a hundred pound bag (from 6 weeks ago) and the layer was up $1.oo a bag and the oats were up 75 cents a bag. I'm sure that means the goat feed and rabbit feed are up also. Makes me wish I had thinned the stock more before winter .We feed about 1500 pounds every 2 weeks for all the animals, so its really going to hurt.

6. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Every kind of feed my feed store stocks has gone up about $1 a bag recently. Considering that they haven't raised their prices in as long as I can remember, I don't blame them. The cost of transportion has risen so much...

7. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

More and more... for my rabbits' health and happiness, for my pocketbook and peace of mind, to practice good homesteading ethics... I think moving toward natural, homegrown food for my rabbits is the right thing for me.

I've got a long way to go... but that is defintiely where I am headed. :hobbyhors

8. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Yeah, I know grain has gone up, but the first feed ingredient listed in Blue Seal is alfalfa meal...any grain products listed are byproducts of milling..."wheat middlings" and such. Do you think byproducts have gone up in price too?

I'm beginning to agree with MaggieJ... I've heard that far less grain was used for animal feeding in the past, because root crops required a lot less mechanization to raise. Wonder if mycotoxin poisoning is a problem with root crops like it can be with grains.

9. LizinNH

LizinNH Well-Known Member

Well this question got me to wondering how much have my feed costs gone up? I pulled out one reciept fo each month all the way back to January. I was pleasantly surprised. I recently switched to a higher end feed so it does jump at the end of the year but not because the store raised the price.

Prices are for a single 50 lb. bag of Bunny 16 form Blue Seal Feeds
    Jan - 9.70
    Feb - 9.47
    Mar - 9.52
    Apr - 9.57
    May - 9.57
    Jun - 9.53
    Jul - 9.53
    Aug -9.45
    Sep - 9.43
    Oct - 10.64 (switch to Show Hutch Deluxe)
    Nov - 10.97

I do get a price break if I buy more than ten 50 lb bags at a time (mix n' Match OK)
    Prices here have been pretty steady so far.

Liz in NH

10. TheBlueOne

TheBlueOne Well-Known Member

Depending on the number of breeders in your area you may want to consider going in together and buying larger quanities to help cut costs. We've started doing that with bedding and more recently with feed. We rarely pay over $8 a bag. The group gets 5 tons per shipment of rabbit feed and can add in any dog, cat, sheep, etc., feed as well. This works if you have a member with extra barn space and a fork truck to unload the delievery truck with.
    As far as grain prices, this month's "Successful Farmer" magazine is devoted to Corn and Soybean marketing noting that in 2005 ethanol production took up 15% of the corn crop and in 2006 it's estimated to take 20%. Quote:

11. Prbob53

Prbob53 prbob53

Rural King farm store. Rabbit feed is made by Cargil mfg. 7.39 for 50# After 12 bags, the 13th is free. RAbbits do well on it. Phil

12. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

I just switched feed stores after suffering from sticker shock on my chicken feed. The price went up over $2 a 50 lb bag for layer pellets- I had to pay $12.72 with tax! I checked rabbit feed prices and they wanted almost $10 for a 50# bag. After I went I found out my husband had picked up both layer feed and some food for the ducks for only $13.50 for both a couple days earlier. When I went to the same place he did, I paid under $9 with tax for the Honor brand. I was buying Nutrena before- but could not find the protein content on the bag- so not sure how it compares. The Honor is 17%.

13. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep. If one ingredient goes up, even if it isn't used in a particular product, other products are reformulated to keep the price down. So your pig feed may have less corn and more alfalfa, running the cost of alfalfa in the rabbit feed up even though the rabbit feed may not have any corn in it at all. Good old supply and demand.

I get Poulin feed out of Vermont and I think I'm due a delivery today or maybe it's next Thursday. They deliver every two weeks and I can't remember when they were here last. It was up some last delivery, but not a lot. It's probably my turn for sticker shock this next time.

Jennifer

14. dave85

dave85 dave85

explain what you mean?

"set to expire". how will that make prices jump?
    thanks,
    Dave

15. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I don't have rabbits, but the chicken feed keeps going higher and higher. My brother and mother both think the $2/doz I'm charging for eggs is ridiculously high and they can't believe people are actually paying it eagerly. But if I sold for $1/doz I'd be running at a loss. People pay the $2 because they are better quality than the grocery store eggs. Grocery store eggs are cheap because they deal in volume. Commercial chicken fams (and commercial pig farms etc) buy grain in HUGE quantities and of course have their factory farms set up for max efficiency, and have their own feed mills. We little people can't compete for "cheap".

Farm subsidies have kept the crop prices artificially low. The farmer doesn't get enough from selling his crops to make it, so the government helps him out. If the government doesn't help the farmer, he will have to sell the crop for more to cover his costs or go bankrupt. The consumer will pay the price.

16. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

mine went from 12.00/100# to $13 so i can't complain too much for now.