Feed ?s - anyone do organic?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MommaSasquatch, May 19, 2006.

1. MommaSasquatch

MommaSasquatch Well-Known Member

We're thinking about switching over to organic feed at some point and I wanted some input. Does anyone here do organic? And do you mix your own? I'm guessing there isn't a commercial organic feed for goats. Still looking into what needs to go into it, but I'd love input from anyone who's btdt. Recipes, information, cost effectiveness since organic can be expensive - all are welcome.

Currently they're on Buckeye 16% goat feed and we have enough to last probably a month yet but I'd like to develop a plan to switch over by the time what we have is gone if possible. I'm still a total numbskull when it comes to walking into the feed store so I really need help. I hate having to go up to the counter and ask about every single thing I'm considering because it's never up on the board - while the people there stare at me like I'm a moron.

2. simplestyle

simplestyle Active Member

Yes, we do organic feed. We have been feeding them organically for over a year.They are eating 16% protein, it contains... oats, corn, soybeans and other ingredients. The tag from the bag is ripped I can't quite see all the ingredients. We have this grain ground the same week of delivery. The goats love it. I believe this feed is only delivered in Maine, but we did have a commercial organic feed called Nature's Best. I believe the feed store said it was part of Blue Seal products. Our animals have been very healthy since the switch.

We pay $17.83 for our goat grain, now. When we used Nature's Best it was about $25.00, per 50lbs. It may seem more expensive, but the health of our animals and ourselves is worth it. Good Luck

Lori

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

This company has an organic good feed.
    http://www.organicfeeds.com/
    They have a dealer list on their website, and they'll also drop ship. I'm still waiting for an e-mail with what it contains. We haven't used it, but we were looking into organic for our chickens, and I saw they had goat feed too, so thought I'd check.

I believe Blue Seal also has organic goat feed.

Honestly though, if we were to go organic for the goats, I would probably just look for organically grown whole oats and alflalfa pellets. I believe Nature's Best has them both.

4. MommaSasquatch

MommaSasquatch Well-Known Member

Hmm... I do have some organic oats I was giving the sheep this winter. I was under the impression that a mixed grain feed was a better option, but I'm pretty clueless thus far. The organic oats were $13 and the Buckeye was almost $12 so that wouldn't cost much more at all to go organic. Would it be better to use a recipe and mix grains? Hmmm... It might even come out less expensive that way than the non-organic pre-mixed. Gonna crack a book open and see what I can find out then call the feed store for prices.

Haven't tried alfalfa pellets yet, just good alfalfa hay. What are reasons to choose one over the other?

5. homebirtha

We do the pellets, because the alfalfa hay is hard to find here, and expensive. Plus, with the pellets, there is almost no waste, compared to hay all over the place. lol.

If you have a really good mineral, you really shouldn't need to feed a mix. Just the whole grains, oats and/or barley, for extra calories for does in milk or late pregnancy. The alfalfa gives them the protein and calcium they need. We also add a handful of calf manna and BOSS to the milkstand grain, so that would be something else to find organic. Although, you could probably do without the manna. Do a search here and on Dairy Goats Plus on alfalfa pellets and you'll get lots more information from people who know a lot more then I do. :)

6. homebirtha

So, are you saying Blue Seal makes the Nature's Best organic feed? That's interesting. I know Blue Seal calls their organic feed "OrganicLife", but do you think Nature's Best makes it? Hmmmmmmmmmm. The Nature's Best that I've found is made by Kraemer Feeds in Pennsylvania, but I wonder if they sell to Blue Seal. Hopefully, they'll still be cheaper. (Still waiting on prices. I'll post them when I hear back from the dealer.)