feed question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Apr 16, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I went to the feed store to get some different feed as my goats don't like the goat pellets from orscheln. So I thought I could mix it w/ something else. Anyway they had NO idea what to feed a goat..... this is a big feed store too!! Anyway they said to just get regular sweet feed that's about 12%. I said ok so I can mix it. No biggy. It looks like nice feed and Nanny loved it!! Had alf pellets in it and corn and oats and minerals and such. Anything I should worry about by giving it to the goats? It does have copper in it.
    Ok thanks!!

2. goatgirl92

goatgirl92 Active Member

When i had 3 and 4 month old bucks, i fed them Omelean 300 mixed with ground corn. They turned out fine and they were on it until 7 months. Now one buck is a daddy to my little kids just born yesterday. I dont think there is anything wrong. Goatgirl.

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I use horse sweet feed of varying percentages with no problems. They love it. But in the distant past, years ago, before I knew anything about CD/T shots or really goats in general, I did have goats get too much and bloat and die on sweet feed. I asked someone to feed my goats and they poured a large quantity out and I lost many goats that night. But it is a staple that I still use today.