Feed Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by JKD, Dec 25, 2004.

1. JKD

JKD New Member

Wanting to know if anyone mixes there own food for Nubian Goats? If so I would like to know what I need and How much of what I need to buy to mix my own food for them. Thanks for any help on this matter.

2. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Don't have Nubians but I mix my own food this is what I use not sure if it is right or wrong but has been working for nearly 3yrs now with my LaMancha, Nigerians, & Mini's. each getting different portions.
    Everyone dry, wethers, or bucks get free choice loose minerals, BS, grass hay, and alfalfa pellets and now and then a tad of the grain mix as a treat.
    All lactating does get the grain mix.
    100lbs whole oats
    100lbs barley
    25lbs cracked corn
    25lbs beet pulp
    25lbs BOSS
    10 to 20lbs Animax or Calf Mana Animax is less exspensive
    I do feed the kids a pelleted food w/detox tho. as I haven't purchased the detox separated yet
    My heavy milkers get 6 to 8cups of feed mix per milking. depending on their production. You just have to be the judge on how much each doe needs

3. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

My feed mix is quite similar to Sondra's, though I don't have beet pulp.. is that something you actually mix with the feed? I found a place down the road that carries it and thought of trying it.

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

5. Stacy Adams

It's mostly something I hear around my house.. but in goatland, it means baking soda... :)

6. Sondra Peterson

Stacy Beet pulp is great for fiber. along with many other properties which I can't remember. but I know it ups the quanity of milk produced for me. Also great for growing kids. for horses it has to be soaked prior to feeding but not the case for goats tho some people think so. I mix it dry in with my feed. Some has molasses in it and some doesn't. I get what ever I can at any given time, right now it has molasses in it. called shredded beet pulp either way. and I have never noticed a difference in any effects to the goats. the Molasses one costs me more but everything at that feed store costs me more, which is the closest to me.

7. Stacy Adams

Well, since I've found a supply, I may have to try it when the girls start back on the milk stand.. they like new stuff :)
    thanks!

8. Sondra Peterson

Pretty sure Vicki uses it too, think that is where I decided to use it.

BEET PULP is the vegetable matter, which remains after sugar is extracted from sliced sugar beets. This vegetable matter is then dried to improve its handling characteristics. It is a bulk feed, high in fiber and unique in that its fiber is extremely digestible. Beet pulp is an easily chewed, energy roughage in a form that's considerably less dusty than hay.
    (not saying to not feed hay)

FEEDING INSTRUCTIONS:
    DRY FEED: Mix with current feed
    WET FEED:
    A)Soak beet pulp in large amount of water
    B)Wait 24 hours
    C)Squeeze out excessive water
    D)Mix with current feed

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
    Crude Protein, not less than.....6.00%
    Crude Fat, not less than.........0.30%
    Crude Fiber, not less than.......22.00%
    Total Digestible Nutrients......65.00%
    Calcium 0.75%
    Phosphorus 0.10%

9. Farmgirl8388

Farmgirl8388 Active Member

My friends goats love beet pulp. THey love it by itself, but my friend also lets it soaks it for just over night, they wont it it after24 hours,and they wont eat it other wise. I think its really strange, but they can tell. Whatever floats their boat. lol
    Merry Christmas
    Lyn

10. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I have a very young herd now, but I did feed beet pulp, soaked in hot water to my old gals during the winter, and also as the main part of their diet when they lost most of their teeth. Most of the gals in my club add BP to the diets, dry, of their goats. I am pretty happy with what I am doing right now and get enough calcium and rougage from the alfalfa pellets I feed. Vicki