feed question

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by dcs13, Oct 23, 2004.

1. dcs13

dcs13 Member

I have 2 shorthorn bulls that were born early August. At what age should I introduce an early weaner/developer feed ?

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Need more info, are these guys on their mamas, or are they bottle calves? They been on grass? They getting any feed of any kind now?

3. dcs13

dcs13 Member

they're still on momma. They have been grazing really well, but the pasture is getting bare. I need to move some hay in this week. I will move to another pasture that still has tall grass as soon as I can get some fencing done. I have been giving them a little feed and they like it very well.

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

They don't need any feed, but then again, it depends on your goals for them. Creep feeding will make for a larger calf at weaning time, but by a year of age, creep fed calves catch up with non-creep fed calves. If you are selling at weaning, creep feed away. If you are keeping them, save the money.

Jena

5. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Jena hit it on the nose. If you have decent milking cows the creep feeding of calves is more good to the owner than the calves :) If you are short on grass in the short term, you could feed a limited amount of feed to the group. The cows will hold condition and give a bit more milk and the calves will get a bit of grain also. It will make the cows and calves a lot easier to ''lead'' with a bucket also :cool:
    Mr Wanda
    Mike