feed question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by lonelyfarmgirl, Nov 25, 2006.

1. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok, I searched first and didnot find my answer. How much pellets does everybody here feed their rabbits per day? and what kind of rabbit are you feeding? thanks

2. LizinNH

LizinNH Well-Known Member

Well, I have no definitive answer for you. I can only tell you how I feed mine. Please keep in mind that I raise colony style. I feed Blue Seal Feeds Show Hutch Deluxe. I have four large j-feeders in each pen, I fill these to the top each morning. By the next day thay are almost always empty. If the rabbits are overly "aggressive" about getting fed the next morning I will add an extra pan of pellets for the day. If they are still hungry I just hang another feeder permanently. I prefer the line of j feeders to a single feed station. All the Rabbits can line up at once and eat. It gives me a chance to handle each one and check for issues. They always have access to hay and water.

So bottom line... each rabbit has there own feed amount. I base it on wether or not the pellets are cleaned up the next day. More pellets are given if they still act hungry. Just be sure to keep fresh water available at all times. They won't eat without water.

Liz in NH

3. lonelyfarmgirl

thats what I am curious about. I want to know how much people feed (pellets) and what they use. thanks Liz!

reason being, I have had my rabbits in a ground pen for so long, I dont remember what I used to do when I did hutches. Ive put my does all back into hutches for closer breeding monitoring.
    By the way, for those of you who know my story, I FINALLY got that evil, horrible black dutch doe I was given bred today. she took it 3 times before getting nasty again. WHAT a relief. Now..the waiting part.

4. LizinNH

LizinNH Well-Known Member

When I had my rabbits in cages I fed about a soup can's worth to each rabbit per day. That is approximately 8oz. Bigger meat rabbits ( harlequins and cali/nzw cross) got more than mini lops obviously. I eyeballed the amount to be about 1.5 oz of pellets to each pound of rabbit. Mini's are about 3-5 pounds so they got about 3/4 of a can, more if pregnant. Again it comes back to how they behave at the next feeding. If they were ravenously attacking the feeder I increased the amount they got. If some was left I dropped it.

Liz in NH

5. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I'm free-feeding unless my rabbits look fat, but they're probably eating 6-8 oz. a day. (These are 8-10 lb. commercial breeds.)

We're using Blue Seal Show something...I forget the exact name of the formula, but it's a 17% protein feed.

6. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

Mine get 1 cup per rabbit per day, fed in the evening. For nursing does and pens of growers I keep the feeder full. Everyone gets a good handful of alfalfa in the morning. Water is refilled morning and night. The feed I'm currently using is 17% protein, and 3.5% fat. I have found my fryers have more fat on them than I would like, so come spring I plan on switching to a feed with lower fat content. My building is not heated, so I figure they'll use up the fat for heat over the winter.

7. lonelyfarmgirl

seems to me, ive been trying to remember, that some netherland dwarfs I bought once, the guy was giving them a tuna fish can a day. I gave them more. I had good results with those rabbits.