Feed mix..... I think we have one

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Apr 3, 2006.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Well I talked to the feed mill and here's what they gave me:
    162lb corn
    30lb oats(both rolled)
    78lb As-38 (a pellet goat supplement)
    15lb Liq Mollasses
    15lb Alfalfa pellets
    10lb Beet Pulp
    3lb Goat mineral mix
    1lb ammonium chloride

And so far the goats love it! Keep your fingers crossed as they can be rather finicky sometimes. haha!

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

How do you find it compares, cost-wise, to their pre-mixed feeds?

I went to a local feedmill on Saturday to pick up horse feed, and check out the costs of goat and chicken feed. :eek: I'd been buying dairy ration at our old place - this place has feed specifically for goats, but it and their dairy ration are about $3 more per bag, as is the layer ration. I think I'd do better to make a feed run once a month to our old feed mill. The cost of the horse feed was comparable.

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I live in Iowa. In the middle of the coutnry with corn all around me. Went to Shopper's Supply for a few things and saw a brand new stack of feed bags. For kicks and giggles started looking at ingredients and found one bag of "all natural horse grain" - and the ingredients listed were: 100% corn. A 50 pound bag of it was $10. For corn. (for horses??)

Riiiigghht. I'll call my co-op thanks! For $140, bagged and delivered and neatly stacked in my designated place without MY help, the co op here delivers my own grain mix in 1/2 ton increments: cracked corn, whole oats, wheat bran, soybean meal, salt and molasses.

Question for Allenslabs: what is in the supplement pellet? Is it the protein supp? What's it consist of? Or don't they tell you that? :) I'm looking at your rations and wondering if that molasses is just a little too high? I have mine at 2%. Do you find your grain mix sticky at all? Let us know how it keeps, too, since when I had my molasses up at 3% it tended to get stale-smelling and the goats stopped eating it readily by the last 1/4 of the batch...but 2% seems to last longer and they still readily eat it all up...

Glad you could find something not as obnoxiously expensive as the commerical stuff! :)

Sarah

4. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

[ For $140, bagged and delivered and neatly stacked in my designated place without MY help, the co op here delivers my own grain mix in 1/2 ton increments: cracked corn, whole oats, wheat bran, soybean meal, salt and molasses.

Is that $140 per ton or 1/2 ton?

5. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Half ton. If I got it myself it would only be $120. If I had it in the grain wagon without bagging and without delivery charges, it'd only be $100. I'm just lazy, I guess. :) But here in corn country the farmers only get $2.60 (give or take depending on the season) a bushel for their corn...other grains are higher...so you can see why I gasped at $10 for 50 pounds of corn! LOL

-Sarah

6. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Yeah we pay the farmers 2.60 here also. Ain't that insane!!

It's the goat protein supplement on the kent feed website.

Nope it flows nicely and most of the goats love it. Still have the picky ones but hey..... can't please em all I guess.

I just get about 300lbs at a time and use 35lbs a day so I go through it easily I guess.

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I am not an expert at all, but I thought that was a very high proportion of corn.
    How many goats do you have? I have 23 goats and I do not go through anywhere's near 35 lbs. a day.

8. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

162lb corn
    30lb oats(both rolled)
    78lb As-38 (a pellet goat supplement)
    15lb Liq Mollasses
    15lb Alfalfa pellets
    10lb Beet Pulp
    3lb Goat mineral mix
    1lb ammonium chloride

How much copper is in that goat mineral mix? Mine has 2000ppm.

Here's what my goats eat:
    Whole Oats
    Alfalfa pellets
    BOSS
    Beet Pulp
    Free choice hay
    Free choice forage

Molasses is not good for goats!
    You want to be REALLY careful about what might be in that goat pellet.
    And corn is junk food. :)

I found all this out the hard way... my goats are much healthier now than they were. None of them are thin - and most of them milk over a gallon a day.

Rachel

9. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Bump.

10. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

It is a very high percentage of corn, which I personally will not do. However, I have known others to use high percentage of corn, and their goats seem fine. We feed similar to what ARK posted. I do add a small amount of corn in mine. Molasses will not hurt your goats if they do not get too much, but too much can upset the rumen and cause problems. My non-milking goats do not get anything but hay except in the coldest part of the winter. The grain and alfalfa is for the milking goats and the pregnant does.