feed mill

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Emily Anne, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Emily Anne

Emily Anne Active Member

I have been looking into mixing my own grain for my horses and milk goats, if I buy it whole it would be a lot cheaper and I could buy it from local growers instead of only from the stores. I found this information on another forum about mills:

There are 3 types of common mills for this.

For a ton or 2 of feed or more, hammer mills are what you see on the farm these days. They have metal straps that spin around (like a flail mower) and force the grain through a screen with holes of various sizes to make different sized feed particals.

A while ago smaller roller mills were used. They 'squish' the kernals between 2 stout metal rollers. Some believe this is better bayby feed, and better feed - no sharp edges. They were kinda slow, and are sold for scrap metal for the most part today.

There were also burr mills, they ground the grain like the old gist mills, between 2 toothed metal plates. These are very popular at the antique gas engine shows. These are slow, but good for small quantities.

--->Paul

I'd look to find a good old burr or roller mill if I could. Does anyone have one or any information on where to buy one, what to look for, how to tell if it will work? Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.
    -Emily Anne, NC

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

was at a farm equipment show yesterday. brand new roller mill. they do still make them farmking is one . a lot of old dairy farms have them so watch for farm auctions of old dairys.soaking the grain for a short while helps keep down dust. or you can steam it either way a small mill will allow you to keep the feed fresh.

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter