feed efficiency

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by dave in upstate, Feb 14, 2005.

1. dave in upstate

dave in upstate Member

Has there been any change in Feed Efficiency in Rabbit production in that last 20 years? I'm talking about both FE in the sense of pounds of feed to support buck, does, and babies to market weight, as one measure, but as a second measure pounds of feed per pound of gain in each individual bunny. So, I'm thinking in terms of the system, and the individual.

dave in upstate

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Not really, and for good reasons.... it simply differs from herd to herd. The "average" that was established years ago is 4 pounds of feed for 1 pound of meat and which still remains the same. Others may be getting a better feed conversion ratio, while still others aren't even close to it. Too many variables which come into play, here... environment, feed quality, climate, management abilities, size of rabbits, genetics, and so on.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

3. dave in upstate

dave in upstate Member

Thanks Pat.

I guess the question then is, "If someone took the time to develop and test a line of rabbits and could demonstrate that those rabbits were more feed efficient, would anybody buy them? By anybody, I mean could one break into selling breeding stoc to large commercial rabbitries, or are those folks confidnet enough in their lines that they will not outcross?

Do you buy breeder rabbits Pat, or do you only select from within? Do you use a terminal line on some does?

dave in upstate