Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :) So I'm having a major feed dilemma. The only feeds I have available are for cows or goats, hence contain copper, the sheep feeds are all pretty substandard especially for my pure and part-breed east friesian milking sheep and multiple birth Finns, as a matter of fact my feed store doesn't even stock pre-lamb or ewe and lamb feed. Period. The only feed they have is coarse sheep nuts, which the sheep don't like and they seem to smell funny........ I've asked them about ordering different feeds etc but at best I've got a blank look, sometimes I just want to thump the feed store owners :flame: Which brings me to ask how much copper is too much copper? Could I just feed less of the goat mix? What about for the coloured sheep? The sheep have access to a urea and copper free mineral, salt and vitamin block at all times. I'd like to feed the ewes alfalfa pellets (if, and it's a big if, the feed store can get them), a concentrate and let them get their main roughage from the pasture, which at the moment obviously isn't supplying their energy needs, does that sound alright? If I have to mix my own feed what are some good ratios? How much is a good maintenance ration for a in lamb ewe? And a lactating ewe?
I'm so frustrated about this :Bawling: How do professional sheep dairy’s cope?
Sheepy
I should add that I can get horse feed, would beet pulp for horses be alright? Do I need to soak? And what does the beet pulp replace?

·
Pure mischief
897 Posts
I have used foal (I think) feed but it's too rich inn protein so cut it with whole oats. The sheep love it and it was safe for them - although not my first choice. Do you have the Storey guide to raising sheep? It's got formulations in there.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
The trouble with added copper is its also the best absorbed. Why not mix your own with whole or cracked/rolled grains?

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,581 Posts
I feed mine "goat" pellets at a ratio of one bag of pellets to 2 bags of whole corn. I could buy "sheep" feed and pay about $3 more per bag, but the copper levels arent that much different.
Get online and find nutrition info on the sheep feeds vs the goat feeds and youll see in a lot of brands the copper levels are pretty close.
Plus mine dont get it year round
If youre providing them mineral supplements, you could just feed whole grains anyway

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could mix my own, does anyone have a recipe? I'd prefer to buy premixed though. My local book store has the storeys guide to cows, llamas, pigs, goats etc but not the one about sheep! I've also checked my library no joy there either. I can buy milk maker pellets for goats, heres the feed label:
Guaranteed Analysis
Minimum Crude Protein 17.00%
Maximum Salt (NaCI) 0.50%
Maximum Crude Fibre 9.00%
Minimum Copper (Cu) 20mg/kg
Maximum Added Selenium (Se) 0.10mg/kg
Maximum Molasses 3.00%
How much would feed like this need to be cut with other grain? What about for heavy milking ewes, would I need to dilute at all?
Sheepy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts