Feed cost survey

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Elizabeth, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

We just acquired 16 rabbits and I have been re-reading old posts to refresh my memory on rabbit raising ideas. I saw several posts where growers listed their feed costs, but none were very recent so I thought that I would raise the question again- hope I am not beating a dead horse!

In Minnesota the best price I have found so far for 18% pellets is .162 cents/pound excluding sales tax. Sales tax adds another 6.5%. To get this discounted price we have to buy 500 pounds (the deal is buy 10 bags get one bag free). Still sounds high to me.

2. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

17% protein, under $7.00 [I think it is $6.71] a bag I have to buy 3 tons at one time for this price though.

You should not be paying sales tax on rabbit feed for commercial use.

3. d37fan

d37fan Well-Known Member

I had been paying 8.00 a bag for 18% and driving 1 hour to get until i found some 10 min. away for 7.00 for 17%. Made my week that week :)

4. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

We pay $11.05 including tax for 50# bag here in mesa az. The "Valley of the Sun" is not a big rabbit growing area, we have to keep our rabbits in a climate controled rabbit shed in the summer. Summers here are not fit for man or beast!!!

[​IMG]

5. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

=====
    I pay $9.25 a 50 pd bag tax included for 16% protein from Midstate Mills a nearby instate feed mill ,, Pureina or Big Red runs from $9.50 to $11 a 50 pd bag ..

6. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

=====
    I pay $9.25 a 50 pd bag tax included for 16% protein from Midstate Mills a nearby instate feed mill ,, Pureina or Big Red runs from $9.50 to $11 a 50 pd bag .. I live in NC

7. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

I am paying $6.45 for 50 lb bag.

I wouldn't buy 500 lbs at a time unless you have cold storage for it, you will have bad feed.

8. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

What area of Arkansas are you? I pay $7.75 +tax = $8.41 for 17.5% Protein in River Valley area.

9. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Central Texas:

16% fryer feed - $6.75 for 50 pounds

18% breeder feed - $7.60 for 50 pounds. 2 ton mininum delivered
    and stacked in the feed room.

Linda Welch
    Fairfield, TX
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com

10. BeatrixP

BeatrixP Active Member

Not sure where Yankee1 is, but I am paying right at $8 including tax for 50# bag of 18% Pen Pals in Harrison or Berryville.

11. ML8ML82

ML8ML82 New Member

I buy 3 50# bags of 18% for under $25.00. I put them in a 32 gallon metal trash can to keep mice out. I sell 5 rabbits @ $5.00 each, hey, free rabbit feed. Californian's are the type of rabbits I raise nowadays.

LUKE 22
    36Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

12. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

After doing some more research the best price in our area (Minnesota) looks like
    $7.64 for 50lbs. of 18%, with a one ton minimum, which works out to .1528 cents/lb. If we bought less than a ton the price would be $7.89 for 50 lbs.
    The discounted price does not include delivery.

There is a sales tax exemption for commercial users but we really had to have the dealer dig to find it for us. But, it was worth it to save the 6.5%.

Thanks for all the responses- amazing how much of a disparity in prices exists among different areas of the country.

13. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i pay 14.and change, dont remember exactly what
    for hundred pounds of rabbit pellets, tindle feeds brand , and 3.50 sq bale for the alfalfa mix hay
    for 3 bucks and a doe, it lasts about a month, not including spillage, and chickens getting into feed when cover is left off
    thats from green forest, evans feed

14. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

We don't use enough....Yet....to buy a ton.However it runs $9.25 a 50 lb. bag for 18 percent in my locale....L.H.