Feed by the ton

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Jan 11, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a suggestion(s) for me. I can buy feed alot cheaper by the ton, but I have to haul it myself. Thats OK, but transfering the feed into storage is my problem. I have no equipment so it will have to be done by hand. The only thing I can think of is to have the storage below the gate of the truck, either buried or off the side of a hill. I really don't want to haul feed every day from the hill, and I'm not sure how to build something under ground that I can easily access the daily feed. Uggg. Help! Please! Links, ideas, plans anything!

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Cheap little gravity box on a wagon gear ($500 ish) fill it and either tarp it or build a rood right on the box. Storage and transport in one. Where in Ontario are you and I'll get you some ag dealers near by to call.

3. Ross

Ooops forgot another option which is just to bag it as you load it.

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Gravity box last year was 200$ built a hard top another 60$.

mikell

5. jackie c

OK I'm stupid, what's a gravity box, pics perhaps? I'm near Thunder Bay.

6. Ross

Actually this site will give you dealers in W Ont and Manitoba just click the search dealers and check off W Ont and Manitoba (yes I know anywhere in Manitoba is going to be a good days drive but TBay isn't exactly the heartland of farming country) Maybe a local auction or the USA?
    Agdealer gravity box

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

jackie
    How long will it take you to feed the bulk purchase feed. Are you aware that feed starts losing its nutrient value once the grain is processed?

8. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

My neighbor and I have a whole grain feed mixed by the ton and the mill bags it in reusable burlap bags. We take them back the bags and they fill them again for us.

9. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Many farmers used to put an old combine bin on a frame, install an old car or pickup differential as running gear, install a hitch and tow between farm and supply. Almost all of the old bins should hold a ton or more.

You can always use a scoop shovel to move it into the storage where you want it. It doesn't take long to scoop a load of feed into a bin even somewhat higher than the pickup. Until you get used to scooping you may want to place a tarp on the ground to catch any spillage. I prefer and recommend a #10 sized scoop vs. a #12.

10. jackie c

Thanks all for the help. I'm estimating that one ton of feed will be consumed in about two months. I fed cracked corn to my pigs last year over a four month period that I had stored, they seemed to do fine on it. I'll try to find a gravity bin in Minnesota, its alot closer than Manitoba for me. But if all else fails I had one suggestion of using a trailer as a hauler and storage. Thanks again everyone. :)