Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do a ton of shipping out.
I get a ton of shipping in.

I have been tracking a FedEx package since the 19th!!

Starting on the 27th the driver has been putting in that I cannot be contacted.
He has NEVER been here.
Including at 8:30 this morning.

My house is easy.
Straight shot down a road that has it's own exit from the highway.
No turns to make. Not one.

I contacted FedEx.. they say tomorrow.
Twice I have contacted the shipper and let that company know that I just cannot order from them again if they are going to ship FedEx.
It reflects badly on them.

Almost 2 weeks since I ordered.

Just wow.
What a totally useless company.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Very often, they use contract drivers, and I've not had a good experience either. We used to live at the edge of the earth, and would get calls "can we leave your package in town?". No, you can't, because I paid for shipping to my door and I'm not traveling 34 miles round trip just to come get that package.

Found a missing package in the back seat of MIL's car once. She had a house across the ranch yard from us, and since we had no windows facing in that direction, we never even knew the FedEx truck had been out. If MIL hadn't come back for a funeral (she had moved to town that winter), who knows when we'd have found that package. Another time, the driver left a mineral lease check at the bar in town because he didn't want to come out, and since we weren't home when he called, he just figured that would be OK. That was an awfully big check to drop off at a bar.

The mailman and the UPS driver were angels, but I decided against placing orders more than once over the years when FedEx was the only shipping option.

All that to say, I feel your frustration.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Fedex drivers are contract drivers. They aren't "employees" -- they're contractors. I believe they're paid by the piece. They're not paid by the hour or the mile. So they have quite a bit of incentive to try to get you to meet them in town. It cuts into their profit margin to deliver to you if they have to go out of their way to do it.

I get those "will you meet me in town" calls too. I flat refuse. Their contract includes delivering to me, even though I may be at the end of a long road. It is part of their agreement with Fedex and if they get stuck with a package that needs to be delivered to the back end of nowhere, oh well ... I paid for delivery specifically because I DON'T want to drive into town. I refuse to take 2-3 hours (and I am not making money when I'm driving -- I make a living selling stuff on eBay) and $$ gas money to drive 80 miles round trip into town. If they don't like the contract they have with Fedex, they can find another job.

I'm probably not popular with the Fedex drivers because I call and complain Each. And. Every. Time. when they're late, they report they couldn't find the place, they report no one was home when I was actually there, etc. etc. I had one driver tell me he'd deliver on Monday and then come to find out they don't -- ever -- deliver on Mondays up here. (Huh?)

I've had a Fedex supervisor assure me that they are absolutely not supposed to call and ask you to meet them in town. It's against their policy.

And then despite being told they don't -- ever -- deliver on Mondays, I got a delivery on Monday this week. It was a printer that I'd paid for two day delivery on, which should have arrived Saturday, and had been "on the truck" since Friday. As best I can figure out, the driver didn't want to drive in the rain we had Saturday, so he snuck in a delivery on Monday. Boo flipping hoo. If he wasn't going to do his deliveries on Saturday due to bad weather (which was not all that bad -- lots of rain and lightning, but that's normal for every summer day up here), at least he could have dropped it off first thing Sunday and not waited until Monday. (I was waiting on a new printer and I ended up missing our mail carrier because they didn't deliver the printer until after the mail carrier came by. I couldn't print my postage for my eBay orders.)

Sorry to sound a bit angry, but I HATE FedEx.

I love my USPS mail carrier and I have zero issues with UPS. The UPS driver is the same driver each time, she's paid by the hour and not be the piece so she doesn't mind driving up here, and she says she enjoys the drive out here. (It's a very scenic drive -- people drive the road to our place just for fun all the time. We get a lot of service people who are delighted to come up here because it's such a nice area and they see often see elk and deer on the way.)

ETA: I report issues I have with FedEx to the sellers, too, particularly other eBay sellers. (Many sellers who live in the city aren't aware of just how bad FedEx can be for people who live in the country.) I know one very large eBay seller has started offering UPS as an option specifically because of an issue I had with FedEx -- it took a week for an order to get delivered to me that should only have taken two days. NOT her fault, but I thought she needed to know, because another buyer who wasn't aware that it's a Fedex issue, not a seller issue, could have negged her for it.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
I've never had even one bad experience with FedEx deliveries. That's almost 16 years of deliveries too. I'm not an at home business but when DH and I both worked full time we depended on internet shopping/deliveries since we had no personal time to shop. We live 5 miles from town and our home is easy access so maybe that's why they always deliver on time. FedEx has always done the bulk of deliveries with UPS and USPS doing half that. The post office substitute mail carrier will sometimes refuse to deliver packages and will leave a sticker telling us to claim it at the post office.

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
We live in the sticks and my worst issue was with a new or substitute UPS driver.
FedEx is iffy for us. Depending on who is delivering they either deliver to our gate and leave it or deliver to our neighbor, who is happy to hold it for us - but thank goodness he's a good guy and not a thief!
The very last UPS delivery I would allow was the last time for them - they left my checks on a gate at a Summer house down the road, where no one lives. I only discovered them by accident one day after trying to track them for two weeks. I was PO'd to say the least.

I'm thankful I can have stuff delivered to my husband's store, or here at work - that's what I've had to start doing. Business deliveries in town seem to have regular drivers and don't have the bad experiences of private residents.

It's insane that we pay more these days than we ever have in history for horrible service.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I got a shipment of fish that could only be sent FEDEX. I was waiting on my porch, saw the driver park, go back to get the box and bring it out UPSIDE DOWN! It was obvious which was the top! Bags leaked water and air, but luckily, survived.
UPS guy is always at our house, he's very friendly and happy, chats with us. We painted the roof brown recently and he joked that we used UPS Brown. =) I even told him to sign for a heavy package if we weren't home and the box had to external damages.
I might need to get a 'warning blind turn' sign to put up so other drivers are more aware that a giant, slow moving truck might be ahead. Hope he doesn't quit anytime soon!

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts

He has NEVER been here.

I get that a lot. It is soooo annoying!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was mailed an overnight letter via FedEx containing a settlement check from my attorney for a car wreck I was involved in. It was a check for multiple thousands of dollars...............the FedEx driver put the envelope under the windshield wiper of my car instead of walking the additional 20 feet to my door. I found it the next morning when I was leaving for work. I called the attorney's office and told them so they could complain.....I figured they had more stroke than I did.

·
Super Moderator
9,449 Posts
agreed, in the course of a few months they delivered a bayonet and our daughters barbies that they bought with Christmas money to the wrong address. supposedly they sent the guy to retrieve them from where he delivered them, but eventually we just had to re-order. we try not to order anything that will be shipped FedEx anymore.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ooooh.. so, so, so ticked off!
After I gave them exact instructions on how to drive down a straight road with no turns to make.
After I gave them TWO phone numbers to call.

'Delivery exception' for this morning. No truck came by my house.

Dirty word, dirty word, dirty word, dirty word dirty. word.

·
Cedar Cove Farm
1,706 Posts

He has NEVER been here.

My house is easy.
Straight shot down a road that has it's own exit from the highway.
No turns to make. Not one.

I contacted FedEx.. they say tomorrow.
Twice I have contacted the shipper and let that company know that I just cannot order from them again if they are going to ship FedEx.
It reflects badly on them.

Almost 2 weeks since I ordered.

Just wow.
What a totally useless company.
Yeah, we have decided that FEDEX pretty much sucks.:facepalm:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts