Fed-up, but where to go and what to bring

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nameless, May 7, 2005.

1. nameless

nameless New Member

Hello all. Not sure where to begin.
    All I can say is I am fed up, I'm worried about the world and
    countries events. Life, people and more.
    I wish to go off somewhere semi wilderness and homestead.
    and depend on as little outside things as possible. But near enough
    to get to medical and an occational town social.
    Being a single female I'm a bit scared but I know I can do it.
    But where? What is it like in the northern most part
    of states that boarder Canada?
    I know I love 4 seasons. Sunshine in the summer to grow crops.
    And a healthy snowy winter. I love snow. I
    prefer cooler temps to hot.
    Just not sure where. Would sure appreciate some ideas
    and suggestions.
    Also for starting a homestead I'd like advice on what to have.
    I'm wanting to make a list. Buy the land then:
    Food to start, garden supplies, livestock, shelter, fencing, water needs,
    cooking needs. Types of feed containers until a barn can be built.
    Would be most appreciative for your help.
    I've only 10,000 to work with and on an owner contract can
    afford $500. a month to start.
    I'm really fed up with so much.

2. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

nameless,
    since you don't mind winters, Minnesota is a great place. Lots of beautiful
    land, wildlife, and friendly people. And I have never breathed such fresh air!
    Rochester (down in the southern part of the state, below the snowbelt) seems
    to be booming, and you can find some land within a half-hour commute easily.
    Land isn't real cheap though, but you might be able to find something with
    $10,000 down. Good luck to you.
    james in houston, Tx. (but soon will be Houston, MN)

3. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Why do you want to do it alone? Find other women to go with, if you don't want to be married or have a mate. Safer that way, and I'm sure there are others in your shoes.

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Get a map, and look for where the roads are not close together. That will tell you where the areas are not too built up.

Check out an area, and if you like it apply for work. If you get the job, move to the area and start looking around for a good piece of land.

We went from San Jose to Iowa, and later to KAnsas. It is a good way to move.

And, almost for got. Do most of your buying locally. There MIGHT be fencing or whatever on the property you end up with, and you won't really know what you need until you arrive.

Tools are great and of COURSE bring anything usefull you have with you, but anything you buy just before the move will have both the purchase price AND the cost of a larger U-haul put in it. Unless the deal is a very good one it is cheaper to go first and start looking around for used.

5. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I would recommend you have a location in mind and rent a country home/farm for a year. It will give you a good lay of the land and then you can deceide if you like being away from things and people. Get to know the locals and the real estate in that area and within a year you should be able to find something that is to your liking and pocketbook too. If it's not the area...just move on and rent a little country place again. At least you will not have spent all of you money on a place that is not suited to you. Look in the magazines..Countryside..Backwoods etc type and see if you can be a pen pal with a couple of other single women who are thinking or actually doing what you plan to do. You know you can do it...and don't not do it either. If you never try you will never know !!!!! I think we all feel fed up as you are. The world has gone crazy and I think we all are the only ones hanging on by a thread..us homesteader types. I find that when I come home I just stay home. No TV, radio and don't even go into town. Try to shop on my way home from work so I don't have to leave the homestead to go buy a stamp. Give yourself time and i am sure you will find a place that is going to meet your needs and make you very happy. Good Luck and let us know how things are going !!! ( also read books and learn from them too )

6. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Have you considered the Appalachians? There are plenty of places to get away. Land prices in many areas are very reasonable. And you can, with a few hours or several hours of driving, get to any kind of culture you might like. I'm seeing folks retiring to WV who have never lived here before. It's not impossible to buy property on a land contract. Property taxes are reasonable. If you want isolation, that's possible too.

Decent paying jobs are a problem unless you have training or a skill that's in demand.

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It is really hard to find anything on an owner carry. They do exist, but the interest rates are usually much higher than regular loans. Also it is very hard to find a home on acreage for a decent price. Might I suggest that you find something in a small town that you can buy outright for your cash? It will be a 'fixer upper', but you can hone your building skills and do a lot yourself. You can also have a garden and a few chickens and perhaps some rabbits if you get something with a big lot. This way you can get into self sufficiency without biting off too big a chunk. You can also save up your 500/mo while looking for a place in the country, perhaps buying a piece of land and build on it before completely leaving town.

Anyhow, here is a link to gov owned repos. Some are VERY cheap.

http://www.homesales.gov/homesales/mainAction.do

8. Faed

Faed Well-Known Member

Have you thought about an intentional communtity? There are many out there that let you try it out before making any kind of commitment. There is quite a healthy variety out there depending on your needs. But the great thing about them is that if you don't really know where to start, you can learn a great deal about a self-sustaining lifestyle. You can take what you learn and go off on your own. In any case, doing it alone is very difficult, possible, but difficult.
    Check out this page for a list of communities around the country and even around the world. Interesting to say the least.

http://www.ic.org/

9. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Take a look at SE Oklahoma. Cheap land but not much snow.

10. bluetick

bluetick Well-Known Member

11. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

We bought a hunting camp in the state forest in upstate NY and it was for sale for a long time because it was off the grid and had no plumbing. I wrote a offer to the owner and gave it to the realtor and they wanted a little more down and to only carry it for 10 years instead of 15. Fine with us. We got a perfect place for us!

Of course, it was a hunting camp with a well built 1850's house - solid! I think we got a great deal. Our payment is low and it's almost paid for now.

I would say to look for a place that the owners are "don't wanters", meaning, people who have been trying to sell something and it just won't sell for some reason or other. The thing about all of "us people", is that what appeals to us, does not appeal to most of the population! We all like to fix our places up, live off the grid, use pitcher pumps, etc. But sometimes that works to our advantage.

12. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Consider property taxes, too. I was just looking at the 10 acre parcel with the 3-room cabin that boxwoods posted. Est annual taxes on that piece are over $800 a year! :eek: (We pay less than $200/yr for 80 acres with a 5-room house.)

Figure out what your priorities are. You may have to forego so much winter weather for lower taxes, or you may not mind paying the taxes for more snow, you know what I mean? Weather and taxes are only two of many things you should be considering. I don't know how old you are, or how healthy you are, but that leads to how close you need to be to hospitals, etc.

Make a list of MUST haves, like to haves, don't wants, etc. Prioritize, and establish in your mind what you'd be willing to sacrifice to get what you want.

Above all, have fun with it... look around. I believe that you'll get a certain feeling when you find that place that screams "pick me! I was meant for you!".

Good luck in your endeavors,
    ~Easyday