fecals

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Debi, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Debi

Debi Active Member

I took my poop (two batches from two seperate pens) in to the vet and he called and said "No worms". I last wormed October 1st before putting the buck in with the girls - used Cydectin. Is it possible that the does I got samples from have no worms? I didn't think this was possible. I can't find it right now but am I suppose to be more concerned with egg count and not the actual worm?

I do check their eyes and gums at least once a week and everyone is nice and pink. I also mix in food grade DE with their alfalfa pellets. Could this be making that big of a difference?

Debi
    Kaufman TX

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what your looking for (or he should be) - eggs.. and if you wormed on October, with Cydectin, then I (making an educated guess here) would say that no, you wouldn't be seeing eggs at this time.. I don't think there is a resistance to Cydectin at this time.. so things are looking good! :) just remember to worm again the day they kid.. I do this without fecals, and then check 'em all late spring.
    So your vet was mistaken in his wording, he wasn't wrong in the diagnosis. :D

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Stacy is right , plus the possibility that the DE added daily is also helping keep them at bay. I personally use DE all the time and tho it won't rid the goat from worms, if used routinely keeps the worm load down. Then u are using probably the best wormer on top of that so you should not see any eggs or worms now.

4. Debi

Debi Active Member

Well that's good news. I am still surprised. When I first got my girls, I was told to worm every 21 days, which I did. It's a lot cheaper to go by fecals and eyelids.

Thanks again.

Debi
    Kaufman TX