Fecals

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cmharris6002, Aug 31, 2006.

1. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I wormed my does with their first dose of Cydectin (I recently changed my procedure) pre breeding mid July. They were bred July19&20 and I don’t want to worm them again until mid Oct. after I dry them up. I don’t want to have to dump those last precious gallons of milk :rolleyes:

So, I am thinking I should take in a fecal to make sure they don’t need wormed. When you take a fecal to the vet do you just pick a random goat to get a general idea or do you take a sample from each goat?

My goats look good, I don’t think they have worms but I don’t want to wait until they look bad before I worm them.

Thanks,
    Christy

2. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

I'm getting ready to do this also. My first suggestion is to call your vet and follow their instructions. Having said that, you need to collect fresh poo from a single goat. Assuming all your goats hang together and you have a single pen and "goat area", if one needs treatment they all should be treated.

But first call the vet and get directions on the what and the how. They'll have their own supplies for you to use.

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Hopefullly you have a vet that'll give you a worm count. My girls just say Yup theres worms in there, sigh,,,

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

From what I understand, goats always "have worms" but it is the amount that is worrisome. I've had people tell me that when they use a method of doing fecals that involves "floating" the specimen that it is highly inaccurate. I personally don't know enough about it. I have questions, but I am still learning.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

My vet reccomended getting a fecal sample from at least two does in your herd. The best looking doe and the poorest looking doe. I always took her three samples. The best looking doe, the worst looking doe and one of the many who are right in the middle. :)