Favorite wool sheep and why? Fav meat and why?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Caelma, May 7, 2005.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Would love to learn about different breeds of sheep.
    wool for spinning and also meat.
    Can you tell me about your favorite
    meat and / or woll breed and why/what you like about them?

Suggested websites and books to read and leanr from?

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We like Suffolk for the meat. The taste is just right. The book you should get is by Paula Simmons but forget the title. Also Carla Emery's book is good.

3. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

4. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I prefer California red sheep. Excellent meat and excellent fleece that rates at 3/8th blood Merino in quality. The wool is oatmeal colored and has brick red hairs running through it.

Here is a link: www.nmredsheep.meridian1.net

We will have lambs for sale probably in september.

5. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We prefer barbados/st mix meat. Very mild

St croix and barbados are hair sheep no no spinning wool to talk about

6. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

I like my Rambouillet. Very well-behaved sheep, nice quiet ram. They bulk up fairly quickly and the meat has a nice taste. Beautiful fine wool to spin. They are parasite resistant and tolerate the summer heat well.

7. Kasidy

Kasidy Well-Known Member

I raise mostly suffolk and columbias---we always eat a suffolk. They gain weight fast and I like the taste. (My husband only really likes beef, but since he has never cooked a meal in his life he is stuck with what I prepare!!)

I have been a spinner/weaver for 30 years. Suffolk wool is nice for rugs. Tips never matt--cards up nicely. But too coarse for garments and blankets. My favorite wool for those, actually my favorite wool that I have ever spun is Romney. (Well, I did buy a bit of hideously expensive Merino roving once that was pure heaven, but I am talking about fleece I raise and thus can afford.) Romney has lovely long lustrous fibers. I had a few colored ewes until they got old and were culled. Saved their fleeces and should have enough wool for a number of years (Big 18 to 20 lb fleeces)

8. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I have Suffolks in Iowa. They taste wonderful, grow fast and have really tender meat. The wool is course, but still spins up very nicely (hand spinner). While I use it for outer garments like sweaters, it really isn't soft enough to be next to your skin. I have an alpaca for THAT (you want spinning heaven?!?!). :haha:

I would love to get a Romney Ewe - just one. I could do a combo breeding with my Suffolk ram for meat lambs and then just shear the ewe each year for her fleece. The things I think about when I should be working...

Sarah
    (who just sheared two of her ewes yesterday - second time EVER shearing...MAN! What a mess! LOL But I'm getting better...fewer second cuts and fewer knicks for the girls)

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Soay meat tastes like elk

10. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

Ditto for my experience and sentiments.

11. Alvary

Alvary dOn't gEt mAd, gEt EvIl.

I'm not big on wool sheep...But for maet definetly Wiltshire horn or Wiltypol

Both are shedding breeds, so don't need to be shawn. They are very heavy breeds and tend to have 2 or 3 lambs a lambing (labs that grow VERY fast!)...and taste great!
    They are also very beautiful sheep, esp the wiltshire (their horns are so wonderful!) and very intelegant!!!

Jessica

12. doodles

doodles Well-Known Member

I have tried several breeds and still prefer the Icelandics. They have very little lanolin so the fleece is easy to clean. The lack of lanolin also keeps the meat very sweet and mild. I also enjoy milking them.
    I just don't care for the "mutton' flavor of some breeds. We even killed a 2 year old ram and he roasted up just fine. The wool comes in every color of the rainbow. It has both thel and tog . They can be spun together for lopi yarn or separated . The thel of lambs is almost angora grade.
    I can send you samples of the wool if you would like.