Favorite variety of tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by willow_girl, Aug 28, 2004.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

In the past, I've sworn by Brandywines, but they're a warm-season variety not really suited to zone 4. :( Each year I'd lose many more to frost than would ripen.

This year, I grew a hybrid called Celebrity, and have been pleased as punch with it!

The plants started well indoors under grow lights, and really took off when moved to the greenhouse then garden.

The fruits are medium-sized, virtually blemish-free, and have a great flavor!

I will definitely be growing these again. :)

Among the small tomatoes, I really like Yellow Pear. Very low in acidic ... great to snack on right off the vine, and makes a pretty salsa, too!

What are your favorites?! :)

2. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

My favorite, or I should say my family's favorite because I HATE tomatoes, is the Roma. They prefer them to any of the table slicers. I use them for juice, sauce, diced, salsa, ketchup, bbq sauce.....everything! They take alot less time to boil down for any of the sauces because of their lower water content. Brett also likes a the Yellow Jubilee (I think that's the name) because he can't handle the acid in tomotoes, and this one has a lower acid content (from what I've been told).
    Heather

3. Wanda Huestis

Wanda Huestis Member

Hi Willow Girl - this year I grew "Supertasty Hybrid" which are lovely. Nice size fruit and very juicey. Unfortunately, I have to practically keep them under lock and key as my chickens LOVE them too! Would you like to trade some seeds?

4. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

I tried celebrity too this year and will do them again. The plants are doing very well despite wind damage (3 days of up to 60 mph winds) frost and drought. I don't have a lot of tomatoes on them but I think it is due to the rotten weather. They are huge plants and seem disease resistant. I had to pull all my mortgage lifters due to disease. Won't try them again. The celebrity was right next to them and no problems. I'm having to change my favorite to plant in the past and adjust to to where we moved. I'm still experimenting what will grow here under such harsh conditions. Sigh! If it would warm up, I might have something besides green tomatoes. But seeing as it has frosted every month this year I'm not holding my breath.

5. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

I bought some from a farmer on the side of the road but don't know what kind they are.....and I didn't think to ask farmer.

But they were HUGE!!!! deep red, and 1 slice would cover a whole piece of bread. Needless to say...I was on a field day with tomato sandwiches. :)

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

My favorite is Opalka. It is a huge paste heirloom. It did really well in colorado. Has a good taste and not many seeds. I had tomatoes 5 to 6 inches long and 3 inches across the year I grew it. Can't wait to try it again.

7. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

This year its white Mexican currant tomato. Two tomato plants survived in my garden this year. Rest succumbed to some little animal. Anyway the white currant is going gangbusters right now. Tiny tomatoes have real good taste and nothing bothers them. They actually look light yellow when fully ripe.

I'd be shouting for glee except this was an unusual year where weather forgot to get real hot and dry during July and August. So have to see what white currant does next year. Bet it self seeds prolifically if I dont eat all ripe ones first.

Oh, the other survivor, not sure since cans on window with seeds planted took tumble last spring and I just swept soil and seed up and stuck them back in cans without knowing whats what. Anyway it was a pretty determinate plant, sat lot tomatoes. They just didnt ripen and now plant is dieing with still none of them truly ripening. I tasted reddest looking tomato and yuck, worst homegrown tomato ever. Think it may be a Togo, but not sure.

8. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

My fave this year is green zibra. The weather has been so hot and the ground gets dry as a bone but no splitting like the other varietys. And the taste is really good but low acid so dosnt hurt my acid reflux. on my third year of saving seed on this one.

9. poorme

poorme Well-Known Member

cherokee purple are the best tasting.

10. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We also like celebrity because of the size and they are pretty trouble free. DH would like one with more acidy taste. Any one have a suggestion?

11. quietstar

quietstar Well-Known Member

My choice is celebrity and I believe they get a boost in acidity from the oak leaf mulch that has been going into my shaped raised beds for years. Great taste and almost no problems other than stink bugs....Glen

12. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Interesting responses everyone! Thanks! :)

I grow and like Romas, too. They're also my preference if I have to buy tomatoes in the winter for a salad or something. Seems they have a little more pep than the other greenhouse varieties!

Sure, Wanda, we can swap some seeds! :)

Funny, I grew Cherokee Purple a few years ago and wasn't impressed (sorry!). They set hardly any fruit, and I think most developed blossom end rot or something ... can't quite remember, but I recall I only got a couple out of the whole batch. :(

A nice yellow heirloom I grew that same year, and wished I'd saved seeds from, was Djena Lee's Golden Girl. I got the seeds from an heirloom tomato expert who spoke at our garden club meeting. I've never seen them in catalogs. :(

13. poorme

poorme Well-Known Member

But how did they taste? My heirloom tomatoes got hammered by the cold, wet summer. (southern WI). Brandywines were the worst. Roma's are producing like mad, but they aren't any good for eating raw. Early girl is doing ok, but don't taste that good. I've probably got about 16 plants and we're eating everything as it comes off the plant.

A lot of the "commercial" growers grow celebrity around here. I think it's lacking in the taste department.

14. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Cherokee Purple here, too!!

They grow very well here and produce a lot. And they taste wonderful.

I grew some kind of heirloom this year which produces clusters of grape sized tomatoes. They're very prolific and VERY VERY tasty. If they were only one pound per tomato, I'd be thrilled. That said, they proved to be as hardy in this environment as the Cherokee Purples. I used no fertilizers or insecticides on them, and the plants are well over six feet tall each and climbing everywhere. Huge, very hardy (despite being heirlooms) and very prolific.

I have some kind of cherry tomatoes growing everywhere --- a friend gave me a plant a year or so ago, and they've ended up volunteering in my ferns, around my potting shed in my raised bed, even in the blueberries. I wish I knew what kind they were --- very sweet, but so much better than Snickers. ;)

Next year, I know I'll be doing heirlooms from seed again --- Cherokee Purples and ??? The second variety, I just haven't decided on yet.

15. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

If I could grow just one tomato for slicing, canning, and juice, it would be Wisconsin 55. However, I'd have had a long wait for a ripe one this year. There was only one variety which was not affected by our wet and cool summer and that was Mother Russia. Those plants are easily going to produce 40+ pounds of fruit per plant.

Martin

16. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

I plant Romas for canning, extremely prolific and tops for cooking. Always try to put in a few Yellow Jubilees, great table tomato, and dosen't excite my arthritis as much as red tomatos. My favorite this year is the Arkanas Traveler, a very tasty pink, not a great keeper, but yummy fresh.

17. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

For cherry, it's sweet 100. I started them from seed & they're a hybrid. I watched part of a gardening show yesterday and he recommended an heirloom cherry w/Tom in the name. I want to try and find that. We are just starting to get reg. tomatoes & it will probably frost this week. We have the plastic ready. We pulled one plant and it's in the shed. It was just too cool a summer. I think I'll try celebrity next year!!

18. UpstateNY

UpstateNY Active Member

ok tomatos we grew this year: Mountain Golds, Rutgers, Morgage Lifters, Yellow Pear, Delicious, Bloody Butcher, Pope, Roma, Black Krim, Beefsteak, I am forgetting a couple. Well, Best sandwich either Mountain Gold or Beefsteaks. I like the Mountain Gold, less acidic, my wife likes the Beefsteaks (do not ask me why). Ugliests and best tasting both go to the Black Krim. don't look just try it they are great. Wife, myself, neighbor and my Dad all agree. Best snacking tomato: Yellow Pear. I can not walk through the garden without eating a couple and there are so many nobody notices any missing. Best looking, Rutgers and Bloody Butcher, not big, but perfect round, and red. Biggest tomatos: Delicious, beefsteak and mountain gold. The Mountain gold does not crack and grow all funny like the other two, but is a bit smaller. The "coolest" tomato, the Popes. I do not know the real name, The Pope sent them to my in-laws. They are large heart shaped tomatos. Most useful: Roma!! great for anything cooked with tomatos, they work in salads and if you do not mind slicing a lot, make a darn good sandwich.

19. primal1

primal1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Are these the ones that look like giant ground cherries that also grow inside an outer 'skin'?
    Had a friend bring me seeds from mexico last year, WOW these tomatoes indeed make the best salsa ever! Not one pest attacked these plants here either.
    I'd also like to know if anybody has tried making pie with them because they are very sweet in fact every time i eat a fresh one I think ground cherry.
    Pasta sauces maybe?

20. Tiempo

Tiempo Moderator Staff Member

My favourite for flavor is green zebra.