Favorite Summer Recreation/Relaxation

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HilltopDaisy, Aug 11, 2005.

1. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought it would be fun to share our favorite fun things to do in hot, summer weather. I just picked up the spikes or whatever they're called for playing horse shoes. I've had the shoes for years but lost the spikes during a move, I guess. Anyway, I really enjoy throwing shoes. I'm sure you all have a favorite, too. Might motivate us to try something a little different, mix it up a bit.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Take a slow party barge ride on the Whitefish Chain of Lakes.

3. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Ours is quite simple. We like walking down to the creek and going fishing or checking the traps for crawdads. It's just relaxing on a hot day to sit by the water under the shade of the tree's. After we get tired of fishing, then it's time to jump in and go swimming.

We play a lot of games outside after dinner. The sun has gone down pass the tree line then so it's shaded. We play tetherball or baseball with the kids. Get out the motorcycles and ride around the paths in the woods.

4. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I didn't know that was possible :eek:

5. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

We pack a picnic and go to the springs. I read the Sunday paper or a novel in the shade and dispense food whenever the kids emerge from the icy water. We stay until the park rangers throw us out. The kids beg for vanilla yogurt in ice cream cones. Once I ran out of bread and served the tuna salad in ice cream cones with a grape tomato on top. It was a big hit and there were no dishes to dispose of afterward.

If we can't get away, we park a beach umbrella next to a filled kiddy pool. Then we swipe the inflatable bath pillow from the master bath and stay submerged while reading a magazine. The ducks keep dipping their bills in for a drink and verbally harangue us for being wet while they are dry. They have a huge pond, but they had a kiddy pool when they were ducklings and now we have to hide ours from them!

6. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

It's more of a night time thing, but I enjoy spreading a blanket on the porch roof (accessed easily from an upstairs bedroom window) and watching the moon rise or the stars come out. It's a much better show than anything on the tube. Add an iced tea, hot chocolate (in the cool seasons), or maybe something stronger (if you don't over do it...you're on a roof) and it makes for nice, peaceful way to end the day.

7. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

toasted cheese bagel with just picked tomatoes from the garden and a good book for breakfast!
    walking up the creek exploring with dh --- it's too deep to do in the wintertime

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I enjoy being on the water canoing and/or fishing, though lately not doing much of that. Other summer weather pleasure is bike riding with a knobby tire bike, like a mountain all terrain bike, on the country or logging roads around. There is quite a bit of variety of landscape, flora and fauna to see something different every day in different directions.
    Taking the dogs for a walk around the property, especially toward sunset when it's quiet and less road traffic. Down to the pond and 'relax walking'. Night time sky is so clear here and nice to gaze a while, especially at full moon time. My small dog especially enjoys a good long barking session with the full moon. peaceful.

9. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

sitting on the porch at night listening to the owls and whipperwhills(sp).
    During the day, walking with the dogs around the property. Sitting and watching the deer and turkeys.Oh yeah, catching crayfish and fishing.
    tnborn

10. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

If it's been really hot for a week or so, I love to get away to the Oregon coast. It takes us almost an hour to get there. It usually stays cool even in August. However since my hubby and I are often too busy to get away much I dream about it alot...sigh!