Favorite sauce tomato varieties?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by VictoriaAnn, Aug 24, 2005.

1. VictoriaAnn

VictoriaAnn Victoria Ann

I'm thinking about next year's garden, and I would like to know what your favorite canning tomato varieties are and why and where can you get it? So far I've only done Roma varieties for canning, but I know there have got to be some good heirlooms out there that people are using just for canning--sauce, ketchup, soup.

2. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

I love Amish Paste and Opalka. Amish Paste is big for a paste tomato, and it just might be the best tasting tomato of all. Some of them are big enough to use as slicers. It has beaten Brandywine in some taste tests. Opalka is smaller but still has wonderful flavor. I usually get my seeds from Fedco in Maine.

3. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

So far I like Rutgers for juicing. I like mine either whole or juiced. I did make spaghetti sauce with them once. It took 9 hours to cook it down to an almost saucy consistency. The next year I tried Romas for sauce, and the same thing. 9 hours to cook it down to sauce consistency. Hmmm. I think I'll stick with the Rutgers. They have a perfect round shape (makes for easy peeling), super tomato flavor, grow like weeds in our garden, and bear heavily.

4. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

I like Viva Italia for a paste tomato. Gave me much larger tomatoes than the Romas. I think either Burpee or Parks sells the Viva Italia seeds.

5. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

A few years ago I read and kept an article on how to get thick sauce much faster and with a better taste. You put your tomatoes thru the strainer and put in a pot and heat. Then you take a few scoops of the strained tomatoes and put it in an ordinary wire sieve, the kind with a handle. At first it will look like the tomato juice but in a few seconds it will clear up and when it stops draining dump that load in another bowl or pot and continue to do this procedure. After what has drained has settled you can skim off the liquid that forms at the top and put the bottom stuff in with your nice thick sauce or not. It really is a time saver! Hope I made this clear! Rita in TN

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

I'm a year away from releasing a paste tomato which will weigh a pound or more. It's heart-shaped with few seed locules located close to the edges. No idea what to call it yet as it's "Bob's Italian Plum" so far. It's got Opalka beat 2 to 1 for taste, texture, and production. I'll be growing them out for seed next year.

I've got another one which was close to the ultimate last year but won't have enough seed to offer it for next season. Anyone who is growing "Uncle Steve's Italian Plum" should be up to their ears in paste tomatoes right now! I know that a number of HT members requested them.

Both of those plums could be called duel purpose, sauce and paste since they taste great also. A really true paste tomato would be Long Tom. Fruit are 2x5 inches and a half pound or so. Averaging perhaps only 25-30 seeds per fruit. May take two years to accumulate enough to include in any offer.

Martin