Favorite recycled garden things

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mid Tn Mama, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I like to use a linoleum tool that has a handle and a shape like a sickle to do hand weeding around plants that I plan to smother weeds with mulch. Gets right where you want to go.

A big huge screw driver is great for digging dandelions (then eat them of course!)

I use old sheets for dragging mulch, weeds, leaves, etc. whereever I want them. Used to commandeer the kids little red wagon, but not so much now that i'm into the sheets.

Have an old rusted metal yard chair that I'm considering using as a trellis. If it just didn't look so darn ugly until the vines grew up.

Of course I'd never buy pots, recycle every plastic thing that comes in the house.

And yes, you sure can recycle potting soil. Just pour boiling water through it and kill any bad bacteria that might have caused damping off. Innoculate with your own good stuff from compost tea.

My neighbor keeps plastic buckets with a little leaves at the bottom outside to fill naturally with the rain. He uses this to water his seedlings. Very nutritious.

2. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

How about things for the garden--that never make it to the garden?/ our favorite tool is the lil hand scratcher-the kind with 5 fingers? makes the best back-scratcher !
    all my old sheets are recycled into the garden, as are nylon hose, etc. and i never throw a plastic pot away-

3. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a tree struck by lightening, and several years later as the bark fell off in giant chunks, I used them as walkway pieces on the most traveled path through the mud.
    and who hasnt used broken upsidedown dog houses and cages for rabbit and chicken shelters?

4. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

I was using an opaque 'white' food grade 55 gal. barrell to catch water in for my garden, but it developed a split at the bottom and leaked. I cut the barrel in half lengthwise and I use the two halves as covers for starting cuttings. They let in enough light for the cuttings but not so much they heat up, and they also retain moisture/humidity and protect against frost.

Dryer lint from loads of all cotton material is put in with the compost.

Broken clay pot shards are used in the bottom of other pots for drainage/aeration.

Bark and punky wood waste from the fire wood pile is used to mulch or composted.

Put the hens to work turning the compost or catching bugs around the wood pile by throwing a bit of rice or oatmeal where you want them to scratch.

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmm...I use all sorts of things in the garden.

I use detergent containers to hold compost tea, bonemeal, etc.

I use some of those stands they put funeral arrangements on as trellises.

I use a large, rusted spoon for digging and to scrape hornworms off my tomatoes (I scrape them into the bottom of a 2 lt. Diet Coke jug and give them to the chickens).

I cut the bottoms off the Diet Coke jugs and place them top down into holes in my raised beds. These are great to fill with water for extra irrigation.

I use old pantyhose to store my onions in for the Fall.

ACK...I could go on and on.

6. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I cut up old plastic window blinds for row markers. I use large metal cans and gallon size plastic jugs (ends cut out) to shelter young plants. I use old curtains and meat shrouds to throw over plants to ward off the frost. I put a "Billy Bass" in the garden to scare off the deer. Not sure if it worked but it was an interesting summer! It ran until my husband sprayed it hard with the lawn mower. We also put an old pipe garage - the kind that you cover with a tarp - down over a small garden and have tried to get vines to grow over the fencing we attached to the sides. It's been too dry for things to take off nice but I did get some beans to grow.

7. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I use the styrofoam containers that mushrooms come in and the little plastic containers Grape tomatos com in to start seeds in. I aslo use the plastic containers meat comes in after cleaned and bleached to start seeds in. then you can use the styrofoam trays veggis come on to put under the containers to keep water overflo in.
    I cut up plastic milk jugs to make plant markers.I use pantyhose to tie up tomatoes,I get them at yard sales.I recycle 2x4s and lumber to make raised beds or strawberry pyramids.I use newspaper or cardboard to mulch or put on the bottom of the new raised beds to kill out grass.