Favorite Online Goat Supplies

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BlessedMom, Apr 21, 2005.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

I've been frustrated by the lack of goat things available to us at the local feed & grain stores. I know A LOT of people do goats out here in the NW, I just can't figure out why they don't feel there is a market to carry this stuff?
    Anyhow, I have the hardest time finding things like 1 cc syringes. Things to give baby goats shots with or oral medication.
    I ordered a few things from Hoeggers, they look great...but it took them 7 days to put it in the mail and UPS is saying another 6 before it is delivered. Sometimes I can't wait 13 + days for what I need. I'm trying to get better at anticipating.
    I'm open to suggestions about where is the best place (price and service wise) to order these things.

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Hoegger's is one of the best online suppliers. I also use Jeffer's and Caprine Supply. For stuff I NEED I go ahead and pay the extra for overnight shipping, and I use the 800 number to phone in my order so I can let them know that I need the order ASAP.

Every feed store I've walked into thinks that goats are some kind of sheep. They just can't figure out that there is an actual difference. Anymore I just head to the cattle or horse aisle and don't ask any store employees for help. Most animal medications that are labeled for sheep and cattle are safe for goats. You just have to extrapolate the dosage.

Cenex near me does carry syringes in 5cc and 25cc. The only gauge needle they carry is 20, but I've found that size works just fine for almost everything. I did notice last time I was there that they now stock goat chow (with copper!) and actual COB (they call it rolled ration). Maybe there's hope!

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Although I love ordering from jefferspet.com I love going through their catalogs, call 1800-jeffers and get their pet, livestock and equine catalogs. With free shipping in the livestock catalog, their prices simply can't be beat. Hoeggers and Caprine Supply are more expensive, and I have a hard time with alot of Hoeggers information, its simply incorrect....no vet, no breeder uses sulfas the way they do. :no: But they are great catalogs to go through. I purchase 99% of the things I use on the farm, for my goats or dogs from jeffers. Vicki

4. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

I had a terrible experience with Jeffers this year and I cannot recommend them.
    For things llike syringes, any supplier will carry them. Heck your feedstore probably does too but won't tell you until you become a regular.
    American Livestock Supply is a good one as is Valley Vet. They carry many of the meds you may need including CD/T and wormers.
    Hoeggers, Caprine Supply, Pipestone and Midwest Wool Growers are great and appeal to the niche of goats and sheep so you may pay a touch more for some things but you can rest assured they are made especially for your animals and not something meant for cattle etc.
    Sometimes if you know what you want (for example I was looking for cylence the other day *sigh) you can google it and see who carries it. It may turn you on to a whole new vendor for you!
    Or, you can just ask here ;-)

5. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Actually, our feedstore seems to be run by people that may know horses and that's about it. It's a very small feed store. They don't know much about anything and they are very young. I try never to go in the afternoon because all they have are the high schoolers in there working. I even brought the syringe in to see if they had them, they just couldn't find a purpose on why they would need to carry them that small, after all 5 cc is what you need for most animals they said. GASP!
    <sigh>
    I'll browse the ones you mentioned. It would be so much easier for me to order online, the small feedstore that is closest to us only carries food and then is a hardware store. The next one (the one that frustrates me ) is about 35 minutes away. So I'd love to save time and just find some reliable ones to order from.

Thanks!

6. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy...I use caprinesupply.com....I have always got my order within 3 days with no special delivery charges...I have never had a problem with them either...they dont have alot of things but the basics are covered...I never heard of the one that Vicki was speaking of gonna check them out....dale anne

7. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

In in Missouri we have MFA (Missouri Farmers Association) If you have something like this they usually have catalogs that they order from. Mine does and if I need something overnight or in just a few days we look in their books first or they will call around to find it. Might have to pay alittle more but if needed it is worth it. Also use Hoggers (?) and Caprine Supply, and Parts department.com ( they are a cow dairy service,but they have a very good goat dairy section and don't mind talking you through on the phone so you get everything you need.

JR05

8. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I have had nothing but good service from Hoegger's. I first ordered from them on the Internet and now get their GREAT catalogs! There's very little in our county as far as goat supplies here.

I ordered my hoof trimmers from them; my hyperdermic needles; some soap making books and more at different times.

9. hoggfan

hoggfan Active Member

I have the hardest time finding things like 1 cc syringes. Things to give baby goats shots with or oral medication.

go to your regular pharmacy and get some insulin syringes (like for diabetics) they are 1cc

10. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

I can't believe no one uses PBS Animal Health!! Their web address is: www.pbsanimalhealth.com
    If you order $75. or more shipping is free. I ordered on a Friday morning and received the order on Monday afternoon! Everything has been correct in my order and they have always been very easy and pleasant to deal with. Their prices have always been VERY competitive if not the best I have found. :cool:

11. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Bookmarking now :) Thanks!