Favorite brand of gas stove?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by almostthere, Dec 21, 2004.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Turns out we have an established gas line. Its sticking up thru the floor behind the stove. Wonder how I ever missed that? One of the previous owners didnt appreciate gas, I suppose. Not sure if I'll get one anytime soon, but I'm doing research anyway. So some background: family of 4 with a 950sq ft house, sahm with 2 preschoolers, and I cook quite a bit. In the winter with my electric stove I can turn down the heat a bit b/c it heats up the kitchen, especially when I'm doing a big turkey or bread or something that cooks for long hours. we decided we'd both like a gas stove, its just a matter of finding one and budgeting for it. Its also a matter of missing that open flame :). So do you have a favorite brand, or least favorite brand? Im not against buying a used stove. I love those stoves on lehmans site, but dont think I can talk him into that anytime soon, LOL. So, ideas? Thanks!!!

2. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Well I just bought a new gas stove and I haven't used it yet. But I will tomorrow. My husband and his friend just installed it. It's a beauty. I have a wood cookstove which I use most of time. But since this is new, I imagine I'll be using it alot. It's called a Peerless Premier. And they are for sale at www.backwoodssolar.com.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

can't recommend a brand, but gas for cooking and heat is sure handy when the power goes off.:)

4. Litsa

Litsa Member

I have an 'Ultraline' that I love (it is a home model), in the US the same line is called 'Viking'. Although the best long life, hard use stoves are the ones built for commercial use. They are often available second hand, and even so, more expensive. On the other hand, you may never have to buy another stove for the rest of your life. They make every size but you may not be able to find one, locally, that will fit your house.

5. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

I have a hotpoint...i really like it...i prefer gas over electric...its gas(i've used electric before)

6. Litsa

Litsa Member

I forgot to mention the important points.
    The bells an whistles are the things that break down, like, clocks, timers, electronic ignitors, self-cleaning features, night-lights, buzzers - anything powered by electronics. Hard to find a bare bones unit in a home model, where as commercial units are almost always basic, with no bells and whistles.

7. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

It's funny nowadays, all stoves, dryers and washers have bells and whistles and are lit up with LED's. Use to have a stove that was a real cast iron antique (paid 15 bucks for it) and of course pilot lights that burnt all the time. I have no favorite. I have an LP electronic ignition that I love and the old saying " that dude is cooking with gas" rings so true. Some things never change.

8. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I forgot to mention something too - about the stove I just got. It is sold mostly to people who live off the grid, so the model I purchased has no frills or electric anything on it. You can also get stainless steel commerical models - but I like white. You can get electronic or gas pilot, but neither one has to be lit with a match unless you want to or have no power. That way, if you are on the grid and your power goes out you can light it and use your oven (no glow bar).