Favorite Books?

Discussion in 'Bible Fellowship Forum' started by Kung, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Kung

Kung Administrator Staff Member Supporter

I thought I'd share some of the books I have and use. Feel free to post your own. Keep in mind, though, that they need to be in keeping with the regular rules of this forum. I would post at LEAST the name/author of the book, as well as the publisher. If you can't remember it, that's alright, but make every effort to do so.

"Understanding The Times" by David Noebel (Harvest House Publishers) - A comprehensive guide to the major worldviews of our day (Christianity, Marxism/Leninism, and Secular Humanism) from many different viewpoints

"Becoming Gods" by Richard Abanes (Harvest House Publishers) - A book that purports (and largely succeeds) to help one understand Mormons and their viewpoints, and interact with them in a spirit of love, without compromising one's own viewpoints

"The Faith Once For All" by Jack Cottrell (College Press) - A clear and succinct book (exhaustive too) on Biblical doctrine

"Evidence That Demands A Verdict" by Josh McDowell - a VERY exhaustive research book on the validity of Christianity​

These are just some...I'll be adding to the list. :)

2. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

I must have marriage books on my mind today...
    Me Obey Him? by Elizabeth Hanford Rice (I think)
    Becoming Heirs Together in the Grace of Life by Jeff and Marge Barth
    Created to be His Help Meetby Debi Pearl

The work of the Lord in our lives and those three books saved our marriage but also gave me a better idea of how to honor the Lord in my role as a wife.

Also I loved
    A Shepherd's Look at the 23rd Psalmby Phillip Keller
    What is the Father Like?by Phillip Keller
    Man the Dwelling Place of Godby A.W. Tozer
    Knowledge of the Holyby A.W. Tozer
    The Pursuit of Godby A.W. Tozer

That's all I can think of now....I'll have to go look through my bookshelves again!

3. claytonpiano

claytonpiano Well-Known Member Supporter

I love all of the Precept Bible Study books...not the ones you buy in the Book Stores, but the ones you can order directly from them that are in depth studies.

I love books by Gary Chapman
    My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers

4. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Guess I am a nerd but I like commentaries on the Bible and it's times. So interesting to know what the original meanings to words/phrases that we skim over. John Phillips is great-if you do not go to sleep with his "getting off on tangents"(chasing rabbits). McDowell, McGee, Weber, and others have interesting viewpoints and styles. wc

5. Job's3dAnswer

Job's3dAnswer Well-Known Member

The book that really helped me was Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan. I try to read it every year. And of course The Bible.

6. Daddyof4

Daddyof4 Well-Known Member

The Left Behind Series - Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins
    Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis

7. Sabrina

Sabrina Well-Known Member

A new favorite: The Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee

Very simple, but very deep at the same time. I am almost done reading it, and then I think I'll turn around and read it again! :)

Sabrina

8. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

"the screwtape letters" by c.s. lewis

( this is the original book that many authors are copying the style of today)

it really puts the magnifying glass up to ones life and motives

9. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

I read and reread many Watchman Nee books. I have one by Hannah Whitall Smith called, "The Christian's Secret to a Happy Life" that the Spirit of God met me in a lot, though not so sure about some of her other writings. I want to read Seiss, as the Spirit has testified of him and his writings to us, though he's awfully deep and technical (dry). "Absolute Surrender" by Arthur Murray is good. I may think of more later. :)

Of course the bible, mostly King James.

10. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

I must say, I read this book because it was recommended by a couple of people to others in an effort to "help understand Mormonism". As a Mormon, I can tell you that it is not factual. It is full of errors and misconceptions. It clearly shows his personal/church affiliated agenda. IMHO​

11. Kung

Well, in that case, find me a book that speaks about the Mormon faith from the standpoint of finding weaknesses and such (in other words, same standpoint as this book, supposedly) that IS factual and doesn't contain errors. :shrug:

In other words, I'm wondering if I could find a book critical of Mormonism that was not, from your POV, full of errors and misconceptions. I'm not being snarky at all; I'm honestly wondering.

12. KellyHill

KellyHill Well-Known Member

I am reading this right now! I love it!
    Also Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer.

13. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be snarky at all either, and hopefully, I don't come off that way.
    Now, I haven't read every anti-mormon book out there, admittedly, however, any book that deals with anti-anything isn't going to be unbiased in it's coverage.
    I would be very happy to read any book that deals plainly and without bias regarding the church. A book without an agenda that discusses the good as well as the ugly, in a truthful manner, without furthering any agenda, either way. Sadly, I have yet to find such a book. These books are either written from the perspective of a good church member and are therefore completely pro-Mormon, or else are written by evangelicals and are totally and visibly anti-mormon in nature. I will keep looking and let you know when I find one that is unabashedly unbiased. I was just pointing out to you that he book you recommend isn't unbiased by any stretch of the imagination.
    Give me a little time to do some further research.

14. Kung

Well, I think it bears pointing out that if there's no bias, the person is most probably one of the following:

a) an outsider investigating the church - therefore lack of knowledge can be claimed;
    b) an evangelical - see a);
    c) someone who is a former Mormon - therefore a bias can be claimed; or
    d) a Mormon in good standing - obviously it will be in favor of the church.

So I guess what I'm saying is someone who has full knowledge and understanding acceptable to you, but who has left the church and is critical of the religion, will ALWAYS fall into one of the 4 categories above, and therefore I don't think you will ever be satisfied with any book that is critical of Mormonism.

And I was aware of the fact that he was biased - if you look @ my description of the book, it was actually lifted straight from Amazon.com - not my own words. :)

15. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

As regarding Mormonism, what about the bible? Are all the beliefs in line with the Scriptures and the Spirit of God?

I don't know the details of the Mormon faith. I have been told that Mormons do not believe that Jesus Christ is God manifested on this earth. Is that true?

16. Kung

Okay, I probably let this go on too long; if we want to actually discuss this stuff, take it to another (newly created) thread, please. :p

17. HazyDay

HazyDay Well-Known Member

wow! I am studying that for school! :) small world​

18. GSFarm

GSFarm SarahJoy [loves her farm]

I just starting reading

Taming the Liger - A book about Godly lessons we can learn from Napoleon Dynamite
    and
    Sharing Jesus Without Shame - Which I just love!!

These books are great for youth like me

19. GSFarm

GSFarm SarahJoy [loves her farm]

Also my youth pastor LOVES - Wild at Heart - and more by that author.