fava beans -- when to harvest?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Doc, May 25, 2004.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

Having pretty good luck with the beans so far, but I read on the web that they need to be black before you pull the pod -- can anyone verify that?

Also: best way to store them if they are to be sold or given away within a day or two?

Thanks.

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Are you eating them as a fresh string bean? I've only done them as a dry bean, so I'm curious. Are they good that way? I just waited till the pods all dried up.

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

Two replies on another forum told me that fava beans can be eaten fresh -- now -- with the pod green and plump. Make sure the bean, itself, is at least 1/2" wide.

Or, you can wait until the pods turn black and eat them as dried beans.

I am going to try them fresh, sauteed in a bit of garlic and olive oil, sprinkled with feta. I had them once at a restaurant like that, and they were delicious.

4. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

I use them fresh, when they have filled out the pod. Peel them and cook in water.
    I put in some onion and garlic, salt, pepper etc., maybe a bay leaf, and Boil.
    Then dress them like a cold bean salad.
    Parsley, oil, vinegar, maybe a splash of worchestire sauce and tobassco sauce.
    I've heard that you can eat them whole, shell and all, when they are very young.
    I've never prepared them, after they were dried. How do you do it?
    lacyj

5. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

My recipe is similar to what you do to yours fresh! I got this from a tiny middle east market that sells all sorts of prepared foods. ..... After the beans are dried and thrashed (for lack of a better word) you cook them till soft, along with chick peas (garbanzos). Add onion, chopped parsley, lemon juice and olive oil. Best when it sits overnight first. I love this with tabouleh and grilled meat.