Fava beans from the Pyramids.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ralphy, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Ralphy

Ralphy Member

:rolleyes: Hi my wife bought in an arab grocerie store some Fava bean, which they were almost square, hard to cook and brown in color with a black line on the side, very weird seed, so I planted some, and if the seed was weird the plant is from outer space, my wife cooked them but they never really were soft to eat, the flavor was ok, but it tasted like Hasel nuts, or something like that,but they were leathery, my wife is a great cook, so I don't know if somebody have any idea in how to cook these things, I was told they are very commun in Egypt. Any Idea? somebody from Egypt? Bye

2. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

If they're anything like regular fava's, then they are best eaten fresh, not dried. The dried ones, you need to slip the skins off, after cooking(They are really tough)

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Do a google on 'fuul'. It is the name of a dish the Egyptians make from the beans.

4. Paquebot2

Paquebot2 Guest

Easiest way to cook fava beans is to steam them. If picked while the pod is still green, the skins of the beans are still soft enough to be eaten. If you allow the pods to begin turning black, the skins harden. Again, you can still steam them but then you spit out the skins. Fava beans are very common in Europe and it indeed is acceptable to remove the skins that way!

Martin