Fatty Does ro Preggers

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I have four does, one wether, and one tiny male. The male was new to the herd 2 months ago, and he was a big hit with the ladies even though I am not sure he could even reach their private parts-ha ha. Now I have fat does. Ok, so my question is should I be able to see their pregnancys this early or do you think they are just fat. I ask about the fat bit because I had bought alfalfa by accident about 2 months ago and they all loved it. Wanting to spoil my kids and save money, I bought it a few times more because not only did they love it, they didn't waste it all. And when I say ate it all I mean they ate all of the one wafer I gave them. (for 6 goats!), and they seemed happier. Normally I give them more orchard grass and they sift through it and throw it everywhere, I thought I was doing a good thing (esp with winter approaching), but now I don't know.

Last year at this time they were fat and sassy with big bellies, but this year all of them are huge and have big bellies! I have since cut back to regular orchard grass (I guess that's what it's called, but I am still new to this) and I get them out running with me a bit around the house. (they like that!) But I am also worried that I might be depriving the does of essential nutrition.

How can you tell if they are preggers? If they are I think they will be due in February.

Thanks!

2. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Well if the ldies liked your little romeo then they will make themselves available to him so you may have a few expecting. Our origanal billy was about 3 feet tall and none of the girls were interested. The neighbor gave us a 4 months old billy and now we have 5 out of 6 girls expecting.

To tell how they are pregnant go around behind them and look. If your girls are getting an udder (a nice little round bag) and seem to be growing bigger teets then you better get ready for a bigger herd. :) About a week before the teets well get alot bigger (basically from being a little bigger then a pencil to being big enough to hold for milking.) Hoeps this helps you with a guide line. Good luck.

3. Honeybee

Honeybee Well-Known Member

I would mix the two hays together. Grass is a nice filler but alfalfa has the calcium they'll need for making babies and milk. We are feeding a grass alfalfa mix this year and it's working out much better than the Timothy we fed most of last year. I ended out having to supplement with alfalfa pellets to bring the calcium up. This year I won't have to worry about that. How much to feed and how fat is too fat.... ? Maybe someone with more experience could answer that. As for your little buck, ours at 6 months old only covered one doe. Last year at 1 1/2 he covered all 5 of our does. But I know people who've gone out and borrowed a mature buck thinking their youngster couldn't reach only to find out most of their does were bred already :D

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

there are a couple of things that could give them a big billie. one, a hay bellie, or hay and no grain. two, they are carring a worm load. or 3, they are carring triplets!!!!!!!!!!!!I found that mny does, that were carring 3 showed way before the ones carring one or 2. but I give mine alfalfa all the time, that is all that they get.

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

do you grian? you should , the does need grain. to make good milk, and for the babies to grow well. and form strong limbs.

6. Croenan

I do give them grain and she really prefers grain. How often can I give them ivomec and what is another option for a wormer? I've only used ivomec and know that I should alternate. She did have a big belly before she really got big. Triples.....argh...and I thought having one kid was scary!

7. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

Actually that's the quickest way to wormer resistance in goats that there is.. my vet even confirms this.. Horses need rotated wormers, but with goats your should stick with one that works untill it quits working and only go to something like Safeguard if you have tapeworms..
    If you don't know how well your wormer's working, you should do a fecal, or take some berries to your vet to run one.. they should be able to tell you what your worm burdens are and if you need to worm or not.. if you do need to worm, then do so and take another fecal 10 day later, this will tell you if your numbers have gone down sufficiently enough to keep using the wormer your on..
    I'm still having great results with Ivomec.. you are giving it orally, right?

8. Croenan

Yeah, Orally. The vet gave my sick goat an ivomec injection when I took him to the vet, the goat almost passed out! Poor little guy! He dropped to his knees and curled up in a ball! I was fumming. I didn't know what he had given him at the time so I went home and gave it to him orally.

9. stellie

stellie Well-Known Member

Another way to check for worms is to lift the eyelid -- the whites of the eyes in a healthy animal should have plenty of healthy pink/rosy veins. A worm infested animal, which might not show signs otherwise, will have plain whites. Same with their pads -- pink is good, white is bad and they need a dose of wormer.

10. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

My goats all look like they are going to give birth to triplets every evening when they come in from browsing. I don't think I have a lot for them to eat out there this time of year but they manage to find plenty. I put out hay and alfalfa pellets both morning and evening and they manage to eat that too. I used to think they were fat till I read on here how to tell if they are fat and I now know they just have nice big rummans. You probably won't know for sure if they are pregnant till they get closer to kidding time.
    They have white gums if they need iron too. I learned that the hard way. I almost lost a doe to that last spring. They have been wormed good before breeding and I give them red cell vitamins now because of the high iron content.
    they don't like it but I give it with a drencher so they don't have a choice. I want healthy babies.