Fattening Wether for Winter

Discussion in 'Goats' started by canine14, Oct 28, 2006.

1. canine14

canine14 Well-Known Member

I recently had the vet come out to check my Boer/Nubian mix after a pitbull I WAS fostering attacked his ear and wouldn't let go. The lacerations are nasty but at least the goat still has his ear. Anyway, Gordon was being raised for meat but was being starved and neglected. I rescued him when he was literally on his last legs and was too weak to walk. He almost ended up like the sheep carcasses in the pen beside him. The farmer lives out in the city and comes once a week to water and feed his livestock. Gordon was 100 lbs. when I got him last summer and malnourished and full of lice. He is now healthy and happy and has put on weight (he's about 150 lbs) but the vet said that he needs more fat for the winter. The vet said to up the ration of grain but I forgot to tell him that Gordon doesn't seem to like his pellets. He prefers almost anything, like chicken or pig feed when he can find some crumbs. What should I be giving Gordon to help him gain weight? He has free access to good quality hay and I am still letting him graze.

Thanks for your advice.

2. ~PrairieGirl~

~PrairieGirl~ Well-Known Member

You could add some calf manna to his ration. I mix it in with mine in the winter and they just love it . I actually keep it locked in a cage so they can't get at the bag, they just walk aroung sniffing at it :rolleyes:

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Calf manna, or any milk supplement, a sprinkling of powdered milk replacer, beet pulp, black oil sunflower seeds added to a good dairy goat or wet cob mix will put weight on him, just make sure not to overdo it, add supplements a little at a time.