fat rabbits?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Buffy in Dallas, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

How do you tell if your rabbits are too fat? I just had another one not have babies at the appointed time. That is the 3rd miss. :mad: Grrrr. I thought it might be the boy, sterile from heat but its not hot any more! :confused:

2. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

This is harder to explain than to show, when you touch or pick up the rabbit, is your first reaction- "oouu, skinny!" or "you feel hungery" it is an instinctive reaction for me, or is it a, "Oh, you feel healthy" with a no bones at all, just plumpness, that is too fat, just right for breeding is in between, just a little bit of rib and hip bone, like when the doe is nursing and has lots of high quality food to eat, I have read that once they get too fat they never lose it inside the body and it is a interferance to breeding from then on. But, it seems that if a fat rabbit was limited to lower feed for a length of time, the fat inside would be used up as well. That is as well as I can think to explain it.

3. Buffy in Dallas

It is hard to describe but I'll try. When I pick them up they are solid and heavy. I feel them and feel lots of muscle but can't feel any fat under the skin. It's just skin muscle then bone. Do they carry it different than humans? Can they hide it inside or something? Sorry, I'm kind of clueless. :eek:

4. Thumper/inOkla.

Well, it is the fat inside the body that is the trouble, it takes up too much room and 'squeezes the tubes shut'
    a rabbit for dinner seems heavy for its size, and a breeder seems light for its size, if you could feed just dry hay and greens (fresh herbs are great) adding the greens just a little at a time so that the gut has time to adjust. Use dark fiberous greens not watery stuff like lettuce. After awahile with very little pellets if they lose weight, you know they where too fat.

Do you measure the pellets when you feed? If they always have food or there are pellets left at next feeding time, I would guess the rabbits are too fat,
    if you are measureing the pellets, try giveing 1/4 less for one week, if they lose obivouse weight and act like they are starving the orginal amount was the correct. If they seem a bit hungry but don't lose alot of weight, then I would think they where over fed before. Repete this if they adjust and don't act really hungry after the 1st week. When you can tell they are losing weight and you get that "yuck, your too skinny" reaction, increase the feed back by just 1/4, I had to do this with my flemish giants, and I have to change amounts according to the temperaure/weather conditions.

Don't feel bad about not knowing how to tell, It took me months to figure it out by trial and error, it would have been alot easier if I could have held a rabbit that was over weight, then one that was under weight, with someone to tell me the difference.

5. Buffy in Dallas

Ok, now I know the problem. I fill thier feeder full when I feed them. It saves me time since I only have to fill it about every third day. They do have hay available all the time also. I guess I'll have to put them on a diet. Poor babies, I hate diets too. :(

6. Thumper/inOkla.

Yep, having breeders is different than just pets, I really try to check mine 2 times a day, but in cold weather maybe once, in hot weather 5 or 6 times a day to wet them down. I use alfalfa cubes (for horses) as between meal snacks, that was they always have something to eat, if they really need it, and mine have to have straw or hay bedding, which they nibble on as well. It helps prevent hair blockages, and they can't get over weight on it.

7. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

What breed do you have? I know with Californians I have to feel for their hip bones to make sure they dont poke out any... Also they back should be as wide and their body is tall when you "bunch" them (take you hand on his head and on his rump and scooch him up a bit..)