1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
44,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We nailed the first two

World Map Product Organism Font

· Registered
7,997 Posts
It may seem like one generation, but more than one generation got fatter in the last 40 years... Being older really isn't an excuse, either. Y'all could take your arses outside for a long walk once or twice a day unless you're disabled. Everyone is fatter. It was inevitable, and my grandparents called it way back in the 1980s. I'm over 40, and my whole generation woke up every day and ate a bowl of sugar loaded cereal because it was quick and convenient for their distracted parents. The kids got Fruity Pebbles, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Lucky Charms....right out the gates in the morning. Then they sugar crashed at about 9am and couldn't pay attention. Then they ate junk food the school sold them as "lunch". Then they went home and ate more junk food because they were only ones home, and the junk food and the Nintendo was enough to keep them from complaining too much once their parents got home.

So my question is... What the hell were the Baby Boomers expecting their kids to look like in 2023, and did they really expect these nasty habits they taught their children to go away? Did they think their kids would raise their grandkids any better?

But hey, at least that government subsidized sugar and corn syrup industries got rich.

· Super Moderator
11,583 Posts
they put sugar in nearly everything , lots of stuff you wouldn't even think would need it

also 1987 you would get a pop a day on a weekend, by 2020 many people have 3+ pops a day around 399% of your daily sugar intake

· Registered
1,936 Posts
When we trip to Taiwan I eat like a horse and lose a few lbs doing it. I know they do not use sugar in everything and most of the bread is made with rice flour.
I see a lot of fat people on welfare loading their carts with potato chips etc. Maybe the guberment is thinking fat people don't move fast and make good targets for the Blue Helmet people.

· Premium Member
23,117 Posts
It may seem like one generation, but more than one generation got fatter in the last 40 years... Being older really isn't an excuse, either. Y'all could take your arses outside for a long walk once or twice a day unless you're disabled. Everyone is fatter. It was inevitable, and my grandparents called it way back in the 1980s. I'm over 40, and my whole generation woke up every day and ate a bowl of sugar loaded cereal because it was quick and convenient for their distracted parents. The kids got Fruity Pebbles, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Lucky Charms....right out the gates in the morning. Then they sugar crashed at about 9am and couldn't pay attention. Then they ate junk food the school sold them as "lunch". Then they went home and ate more junk food because they were only ones home, and the junk food and the Nintendo was enough to keep them from complaining too much once their parents got home.

So my question is... What the hell were the Baby Boomers expecting their kids to look like in 2023, and did they really expect these nasty habits they taught their children to go away? Did they think their kids would raise their grandkids any better?

But hey, at least that government subsidized sugar and corn syrup industries got rich.
I am intrigued by your assertion that this has been caused by an entire age group.

How in the world is this the fault of Boomers?

I'm at the tail end of the Baby Boom. While I do carry a few extra pounds (10), I raised my children on healthy food, never fed them sugary cereals or anything like that, and insisted on physical activity, indoors and out.

I continue to be active, as the farm does not produce if I am sedentary.

My friends raised their children the same way, and all our kids are of healthy weights and enjoy healthy lifestyles.

It's a shame your parents did not set a good example for you, but as you are now an adult, it is YOUR responsibility to parent yourself and do what is necessary to achieve and maintain good health.

· Super Moderator
11,583 Posts
What am i missing Wv his fat but people claim to be starving. If i don't eat i loose weight
if you eat all carbs you can way over do the chloric intake and still be hungry in a little while

you feel hungry even through you ate 2 days worth of calories you put on fat stores but still are hungry for more , sugar is very bad for this

cheap food tends to be lots of starch , cereal grains and sugar

so your not mistaken the chubby girl in the food line believes they are starving while also morbidly obese

toss in that they have very little idea how to cook , good food costs more than cheap grains

good food tends to be harder to store , it doesn't fit in a box on a shelf for a year+

· Registered
7,997 Posts

· Registered
7,997 Posts
if you eat all carbs you can way over do the chloric intake and still be hungry in a little while

you feel hungry even through you ate 2 days worth of calories you put on fat stores but still are hungry for more , sugar is very bad for this

cheap food tends to be lots of starch , cereal grains and sugar

so your not mistaken the chubby girl in the food line believes they are starving while also morbidly obese

toss in that they have very little idea how to cook , good food costs more than cheap grains

good food tends to be harder to store , it doesn't fit in a box on a shelf for a year+
That and the "poverty line" is a political goal post that has been moved so much that you can be below the poverty line while also eating fast food 2 to 3 times per day. But statisticians will still use the words "starving" and "below the poverty line" interchangeably, because it's useful to them.

Reactions: Wolf mom

· Registered
406 Posts
Not anything to be proud of. I love the grocery store, and yet whenever I go, I am surrounded by obese people pushing carts full of soda pop, frozen dinners, cakes. I can tell who is using food stamps by looking at what is in their carts. Saw a young black woman in moon boots (I had to look them up, $200 boots that look awful). She was buying steaks and frozen pizzas with her EBT. I think those among us who are disciplined and responsible are being purposely peeved, in order to get some sort of reaction. I'll just repeat that I consider it EVIL for anyone to support their neighbors feeding them gratis, courtesy of the men with guns. I don't think the woman with moon boots is evil, I think she's just stupid. But people who know better and support this policy are beyond redemption.

Reactions: Pony

· Registered
213 Posts
Just like everything else though part of the issue is the definition of "obese" etc. I have a general practitioner that thinks I should weigh 160 lbs. My bones weigh that much. And I had 2 of the most well known doctors in the field tell me when I was actually actively trying to lose weight after gaining due to a catastrophic injury where I couldnt walk for almost 2 yrs and unaided for 5 that my ideal weight is 200. So to them I am perfect. I can bench 350lbs at 55 yrs old. I can lay down 2 miles in 15 min etc. I have 22 inch biceps and a 55 chest and my waist measured correctly just below my naval is 40. But to the general practitioner I have I am fat. And nothing will change her mind. So I am looking for another general practitioner. One that doesnt think weight charts are supposed to apply to everyone and are written in stone. Also her BP goal as is most drs these day is in the range that 20yrs ago was considered for elite athletes. If not then well you just gotta have these meds. My sister is a fitness competitor. At 5 percent body fat and 2hrs a day working out etc her dr wants her on bp meds. Her bp is maybe 5 above the magical we wont push meds for kickbacks at you level. just 5

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Since the cost of food has gone through the roof I have changed my diet and eating habits. Not really voluntarily but I just cant justify the cost of eating like we used to. No more eating out, and Im cooking every night everything practically from scratch. Ive made a game of calculating the cost of each meal, and using leftovers to make soups, stews, etc.

Its the way I grew up eating as a kid. Mom would make meatloaf, and we'd have it for a couple of nights or even a meatloaf sandwich for lunch. A roast ham gets frozen and eaten in different recipes during the week. Or just some breaded-fried chicken cutlets with brown gravy and mashed potatoes is a cheap, tasty, and hearty meal.

Thats the way Im doing it and Ive dropped a couple of pounds without really trying. No "quick eats". Everything cooked or reheated at dinner time.

· Super Moderator
11,583 Posts
Just like everything else though part of the issue is the definition of "obese" etc. I have a general practitioner that thinks I should weigh 160 lbs. My bones weigh that much. And I had 2 of the most well known doctors in the field tell me when I was actually actively trying to lose weight after gaining due to a catastrophic injury where I couldnt walk for almost 2 yrs and unaided for 5 that my ideal weight is 200. So to them I am perfect. I can bench 350lbs at 55 yrs old. I can lay down 2 miles in 15 min etc. I have 22 inch biceps and a 55 chest and my waist measured correctly just below my naval is 40. But to the general practitioner I have I am fat. And nothing will change her mind. So I am looking for another general practitioner. One that doesnt think weight charts are supposed to apply to everyone and are written in stone. Also her BP goal as is most drs these day is in the range that 20yrs ago was considered for elite athletes. If not then well you just gotta have these meds. My sister is a fitness competitor. At 5 percent body fat and 2hrs a day working out etc her dr wants her on bp meds. Her bp is maybe 5 above the magical we wont push meds for kickbacks at you level. just 5
some of them just have no logic that there could be anything but a chart

they are learning there is a lot more than charts many of these charts where made up using a small segment of one population and they do not apply to a lot of people with different body types.

they told me when I was 14 and 206# wrestling that 200 was the lightest I could go , I got bigger and stronger after that grew 2 more inches I am 268-272 depending on the day I sure don't eat much and all my blood numbers are nicely in the ranges they want , the chart says I should still be carrying 50 pounds of extra weight but I have no idea where that would be.

· Registered
7,997 Posts
I am intrigued by your assertion that this has been caused by an entire age group.

How in the world is this the fault of Boomers?

I'm at the tail end of the Baby Boom. While I do carry a few extra pounds (10), I raised my children on healthy food, never fed them sugary cereals or anything like that, and insisted on physical activity, indoors and out.

I continue to be active, as the farm does not produce if I am sedentary.

My friends raised their children the same way, and all our kids are of healthy weights and enjoy healthy lifestyles.

It's a shame your parents did not set a good example for you, but as you are now an adult, it is YOUR responsibility to parent yourself and do what is necessary to achieve and maintain good health.
First of all, just because you took this personally even though I was speaking broadly about 300,000,000 people, doesn't mean you should talk about my parents. We did fine, thanks. I've never had even a potbelly in my life. I definitely ate too much cereal, but overall I was taught to moderate my habits.

That doesn't mean I had no idea what was going on with most of the kids... I did. It was hilarious. I would always ask, "You can eat cookies after school?" or something like that. They had free range junk food all day long. Almost all of them. I was mesmerized.

So like I said, you should have realized I was speaking broadly, but since some of you are triggered, I'll reiterate. I'm saying it was a collective effort, everyone should know better, but the Baby Boomers as a generation have no right to sit there and point the finger. Highest divorce rate in history... Biggest crime wave per-capita in history in the 70s... Introduced road rage to the culture... Bought houses they couldn't afford... Got fatter than their parents' generation, more diabetic than their parents' generation... Every cultural problem we have right now started with y'all, in general, even if you personally were great.

Which I 100% believe, okay? I am sure you were different, as you said.

But the older Boomers raised latch-key GenXers who decided life was a party, and then over-corrected and helicopter parented the Millennials and even a portion of GenZ and made them all the things the Boomers suddenly think they have a right to complain about. Sorry Boomers, but YOUR generation raised them, so.....tell your generation to own up to that. Show everyone what personal responsibility looks like.

This reminds me of two different conversations I had in the span of a couple days years back. My Boomer supervisor at work talking about how his dumb 20 year old kid couldn't even make Mac'N'Cheese...after explaining that he worked 2nd Shift so he wouldn't have to be around his family. My Boomer landlord talking about how his dumb 20 year old kid couldn't figure out how to balance the dryer load. Gee whose job was it to prepare them for life, guys?

And the GenX, Y, and Z parents will have no one to blame but themselves either, because all the information is there.

Reactions: kinderfeld

· Registered
7,119 Posts
First of all, just because you took this personally even though I was speaking broadly about 300,000,000 people, doesn't mean you should talk about my parents. We did fine, thanks. I've never had even a potbelly in my life. I definitely ate too much cereal, but overall I was taught to moderate my habits.

That doesn't mean I had no idea what was going on with most of the kids... I did. It was hilarious. I would always ask, "You can eat cookies after school?" or something like that. They had free range junk food all day long. Almost all of them. I was mesmerized.

So like I said, you should have realized I was speaking broadly, but since some of you are triggered, I'll reiterate. I'm saying it was a collective effort, everyone should know better, but the Baby Boomers as a generation have no right to sit there and point the finger. Highest divorce rate in history... Biggest crime wave per-capita in history in the 70s... Introduced road rage to the culture... Bought houses they couldn't afford... Got fatter than their parents' generation, more diabetic than their parents' generation... Every cultural problem we have right now started with y'all, in general, even if you personally were great.

Which I 100% believe, okay? I am sure you were different, as you said.

But the older Boomers raised latch-key GenXers who decided life was a party, and then over-corrected and helicopter parented the Millennials and even a portion of GenZ and made them all the things the Boomers suddenly think they have a right to complain about. Sorry Boomers, but YOUR generation raised them, so.....tell your generation to own up to that. Show everyone what personal responsibility looks like.

This reminds me of two different conversations I had in the span of a couple days years back. My Boomer supervisor at work talking about how his dumb 20 year old kid couldn't even make Mac'N'Cheese...after explaining that he worked 2nd Shift so he wouldn't have to be around his family. My Boomer landlord talking about how his dumb 20 year old kid couldn't figure out how to balance the dryer load. Gee whose job was it to prepare them for life, guys?

And the GenX, Y, and Z parents will have no one to blame but themselves either, because all the information is there.
Beard Jaw Gesture Facial hair Font

Reactions: wiscto
1 - 20 of 48 Posts