Fat 8-week old?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by brumer0, May 17, 2018.

1. brumer0

brumer0 Well-Known Member

Are these pigs looking fat? I have always let my (feeder) pigs eat from a creep feeder and have never had a problem with being over weight. My biggest concern is there’s something medically wrong going on with them. T

They’re 8-weeks old, they were wormed with Ivermectin at 4 and 5 weeks old. They’re Berskshire, in theory.

Thanks!!

IMG_2033.jpg

gerold likes this.
  2. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

That is the body structure you are seeing, not fat. They are looking good from what I can see with that view.

3. brumer0

brumer0 Well-Known Member

They seemed really bloated to me. I even pushed on their stomachs and it didn’t seem too much different than normal (although, I don’t push on their stomachs much. And, they just started warming up to me so I haven’t hardly had a chance).

The pigs I’ve had in the past typically have their waists the same width as their shoulders and hind quarters.

If nothing jumps out at anybody then that’s great news. I appreciate the feedback.

4. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Are these pigs from someone that sells ''show'' pigs? They seem to be ''pinched'' in front of the hams, which would make the hams seem larger. If the pigs are eating and gaining well, I would not be concerned.