Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I go to town I like to treat myself to lunch at a fast food restaurant. Since the pandemic they have been playing games with the customers. I understand staffing shortages and reduced hours are not their fault. First the restaurants require you to join their app to get deals. I don't want them to gather info on me so I won't join. The latest con is they are advertising special deals and not honoring them. Subway sent me coupons in the mail but when I tried to use them the nearest subway wouldn't honor them. Burger King is advertising a whopper jr meal deal on TV. Both BK restaurants near me won't honor that price. One told me that the ad has a disclaimer at the bottom so I looked for it the next time I saw the ad. The print is so small I couldn't read it even though I was close and the screen is big.

I think I will just buy a nice steak for dinner at home, save a bit, and send the restaurants a message. .

· Registered
692 Posts
A lot of places won't accept coupons if you have printed them out. Our "local" grocery store claims there is too much fraud. Problem is, they don't send out ads in the paper anymore so how is one supposed to get them if they don't print
them from their email or the internet. Jerks.
I also don't have a "smart" phone, so can't download their stupid apps. I think that is discrimination and needs a lawsuit.:ROFLMAO: Because, according the them "everyone" has a smart phone and therefore has equal access to their "deals".

· Registered
2,670 Posts
The last time hubby and I went into McDonald's just to get coffee, there were 4-5 workers standing around. We went to the counter to order our coffee and were directed to an i-pad looking thing where we had to order. Apparently the workers where too busy doing nothing to take an order. I have no patience to scroll through an electronic menu, so bye bye McDonalds. The other one that ticks me off is Home Depot. Hubby is a veteran, the only way to get their veteran discount is to download the app. We don't do apps. So bye bye Home Depot, hello Lowes.

· Registered
2 Posts
Same experience with Dunkin donuts, verified deal at the intercom and at the window the total was way more than advertised. I gave them their stuff back and said no thanks I'll keep my money. At Wendy's they ruined my white shorts with a defective soft drink machine that squirted concentrated dye onto me. They asked for my personal information, but never contacted me, even after complaining twice. Well, what goes around comes around, I assure you.

· Registered
7,997 Posts
It's a little ironic for me to say it, since I eat fast food entirely too often, but they honestly don't care what their food does to you, so they definitely don't care if you're getting a good deal. But they'll pretend to care about plastic in the environment once in a while to make the environmentalists look the other way for a couple seconds.

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO

· Registered
3,474 Posts
My kids love McDonald’s, so when I’m in the county seat, I’ll pick up some cheeseburgers for them occasionally. A few months back I stopped in and ordered some cheeseburgers for the kids, and a few hamburgers for me (I detest that synthetic orange stuff they call cheese). I get about 5 miles down the road and open one of my burgers- No meat! How does that happen? I’d like to say I’ve never been back there, but…. the very next visit they shorted my order and I made the mistake of pulling ahead to check it. The inside was closed, so I had to go back around in the drive through to get my missing things. NOW I’ve never been back.

· Registered
4,742 Posts
My Taco John story, ordered some combo meal, was asked med. or large at the counter. Having never been there before and being overwhelmed by the menu board I just said medium. I never knew small was an option. Ticked me off so much at being fooled into the upgrade, I have not been back.

(I am also often confused by the menu boards inside as the outside ad special in the window isn’t on the inside board) Gotta “get on with it lady” ” as I study the menu, DH teases me. God help me if I ever have to order on a machine or App., LOL.

We don’t go out much as it is, guess I’m not missing much.

· Registered
692 Posts
Guess I'm not missing anything, we don't eat out. Have ordered pizza on the landline phone for hubby to pick up on the way home, but that's about it.
I agree, if there is no menu and I am required to input my order, pretty sure I would head out as well.

· Super Moderator
13,573 Posts
1/24/23 6:58 PM CST

Stories like this is why I am glad we only eat out at a locally owned restaurant with great steaks and locally owned fast food hamburger and ice cream place, home style cafe' and good local Mexican and Chinese food joints where we know all the owners and most of the staff.

· Registered
5,828 Posts
While your local fast food place is a franchise - they are privately owned - so no, they do not have to accept the ads of said franchise or their coupons. But it seems silly to me - that while the franchisee has to jump through hoops to build their franchise - said franchise has rules and regulations on how to build the store, you must purchase all equipment and materials from said franchiser, etc, then they don't have to honor the deals that is nationally advertised.

Amazingly, we do have most of the fast food places in town - and all but two of them won't honor the nationally advertised deals. At the one place - they just don't honor the nationally advertised deals - of course, they are a very small fast food place stuck inside a truck stop. The other fast food place doesn't have any of the cheap deals on their menu. Oddly enough, they are a regular sized restaurant inside the new truck stop - but I figure since they are the only fast food place that is open 24 hours a day - that is why they don't have the cheap deal - if you are hungry for their food - you are going to pay full price for their food.

· Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,161 Posts
The corporate entity runs the advertising to generate traffic. The franchisees CANNOT AFFORD to sell the products at the discounted price.

If you want to be outraged, direct it at the corporate level, not the clerk or the franchisee.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts