Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to cover my fascia/soffits with aluminum/vinyl to eliminate the painting. I have some fascia that's in bad shape and I will replace it. First thing is size, I was thinking of using 1x6 yellow pine. There are 1x4 strips of masonite there now for fascia which are in poor shape. After installing and painting them I need some instruction on wrapping them with vinyl or aluminum. I have access to a break at the lumber yard close to the house and can buy the aluminum as I use it off of their roll. Use of the break is free, but it must remain at the lumber yard.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DAVID In Wisconsin said:
You can buy preformed 6 inch fascia. It's stronger and goes up faster than trying to bend it yourself. You just cut it to size. It's easy!
Aluminum? Vinyl? I've never seen preformed fascia. How far down does it go to cover the soffit? Strogter? I didn't consider strength as a factor. Where do you buy preformed fascia?

Is it fast and fun too?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I know it's available in metal and I think vinyl also. Should be an easy find in most of the larger home improvement stores. I buy the aluminum from my local siding company. I don't think it runs a whole lot more than than the coil stock to bend your own.

All soffitt, fascia, door and window wrapping is fun to me! Must be a disease of some sort.

·
Registered
309 Posts
way cheaper to buy coil stock and cut it in to 12 foot leinghts and split in in half bend a 1 and a half inch lip. leave the longer part long enough to go under your drip[ edge. its not a hard thing to do. just be ready for rotten rafter tails where the facia rotted. not a problem there just use 2x6 scaps on the ends wood screwed to old rafter . lol probably be way easier to just fly out snd show you as to tell you how

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ricky said:
way cheaper to buy coil stock and cut it in to 12 foot leinghts and split in in half bend a 1 and a half inch lip. leave the longer part long enough to go under your drip[ edge. its not a hard thing to do. just be ready for rotten rafter tails where the facia rotted. not a problem there just use 2x6 scaps on the ends wood screwed to old rafter . lol probably be way easier to just fly out snd show you as to tell you how
I'm waiting at the airport now.

Rafters are fine. When you bend the 1 1/2" lip do you bend it flush with the end of the fascia bottom edge and then lay the vinyl soffit in it, or do you bend it the thickness of the vinyl soffit lower than the fascia? Should I make all of the fascia from 1x6 or 1x4, does it matter or what's better?I still don't get the pre made idea if it's only a piece of alum with a lip bent on it, surely would be cheaper and easier to just bend that from coil as you say. I understand about the drip edge.

What's the price usually of coil? I think they quoted about $80 for 50'x 2'.

·
Registered
940 Posts
First off get your soffit material cut and nailed(you only need one nail on the facia end... You will need either a J channel or and f channel on the back.all depending on your situation. Then measure what you need from underneath your drip cap to the bottom of the soffit.
80 bucks a square is not a bad price for those buying retail. I would opt for PVC coated aluminum coil stock. should not be much more. and many colors are available.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,725 Posts
Did you have soffit before? Are you going to add soffit? The soffit goes between the fascia and the house siding. If you had soffit before, you'll want to use the same size fascia so the soffit mates the siding at the same place.
Be sure your fascia goes up under the roof's drip edge. Don't use treated lumber for the facia as the salts will corrode the nails and aluminum fascia.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
House has soffits and fascia but there are additions with 1x6 fascia and the house has 1x4 so my goal is to blend it all together. Some of the soffit will be below the original soffit if i put 1x6 in place of the 1x4.

The price I was quoted for coil is for PVC/vinyl coated aluminum, I'm usiang white.

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
I've used preformed aluminum facia for my house. Got it from Menards. Comes in several colors, and some can be special ordered. Menards makes this stuff in EauClaire WI, but I'm sure other companies make it too.

This house had masonite/wood trim. The eaves were not vented, and we fixed that too. The lower roof soffit looks funny, as we will eventually extend that roof over the front of the house, making a small front porch.

We bought 7.5" wide facia for the upper area, and had to rip it down about 1/2. Found the table saw works best to cut it. It also comes in 5.5" Basically sized to fit a 2x6 or 2x8.

this pic sort of shows what it looked before. Because of venting and other problems, we built a "cold roof" over the existing roof.

Cathy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.